The annual Culture Night where buildings, museums, galleries and more open their doors to the public for the night is happening this Friday night. Here’s a roundup of all the recommended musical events happening. Free unless stated otherwise. More to be added throughout the week. Full programme plus iPhone / Android apps.
- Open Night @ Windmill Lane Recording Studios (5pm – 11pm)
Visit the recording studio that has hosted U2, The Cranberries, ACDC, Spice Girls and more recently Lady Gaga. A Musical performance promised.
- Irish Composers @ Contemporary Music Centre, Fishamble Street (5pm – 10pm)
Curated by composer Karen Power.
- Performance by musician and composer Dylan Rynhart @ Centre for Creative Practices, Lower Pembroke St (5pm – 11pm)
Plus Exhibition by artist Jo Cummins.
- Casino by Candlelight with Pat Coldrick, Classical Guitarist & Composer @ Casino Marino (5:30pm – 7:30pm)
Booking required. Three Music Recitals commence: 5.30pm (Outdoors); 7.30pm (State Room); 8.45pm (Blue Saloon).
- Raymond Deane @ The Music Composition Centre (6pm -7pm)
In association with Crash Ensemble and RTÉ Lyric FM presents acclaimed composer performing key works for solo piano from his 40-year career.
- Performances and recitals @ Christ Church Cathedral, Christ Church (6pm – 10pm)
Silent movie screenings, guided tours, storytelling for children.
- Arena @ Meeting House Square (7pm -10pm)
Live broadcast from RTE Arts show with guests RTÉ Concert Orchestra, Julie Feeney, The Walls and Lunasa.
- Biggles Flies Again, Keith Moss & the Tightrope Walkers & more @ Oxfam Books, Parliament Street (7pm – 10pm)
Live band performances and literature by Nighthawks.
- RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra @ National Concert Hall (7pm-10pm)
Classical recitals and more. Tickets limited but free.
- Culture Night @ Bewley’s Cafe, Grafton Street (7pm)
Music, song, theatre and poetry in the 1920’s setting of the James Joyce Room.
- Radio Culture Night @ Hugh Lane Gallery, Parnell Square North
Near FM, Dublin South FM, Phoenix FM, West Dublin Access Radio & Raidio Na Life team up for broadcasts featuring live performances from Garr Cleary and guests.
- National Chamber Choir of Ireland @ RHA, Ely Place (7:30pm – 11pm)
A variety of props from wind-up toys, records, fire blankets, headphones and sunglasses we take you on a highly entertaining journey through Irish composer Jennifer Walshe’s White Noisery.
- The Big Band Bash @ Civic Theatre, Tallaght (8pm-9:30pm)
An Ensemble of 70 plus will perform music by Adele, Stravinsky, The Beatles and the Jersey Boys as well as music from Les Miserables
- Trailblaze popup with Nina Hynes & more [email protected] Royal Irish Academy of Music, Westland Row (9pm-10:30pm)
A evening of words and music from Iceland and Ireland. Booking required.
- Hanna Sisters @ Market Place Theatre, Market St (9:30pm – 10:30pm)
An eclectic mix of traditional, contemporary folk and pop.
- Distillation: Sea Pinks, September Girls, Affleck @ Oh Yeah Centre (6pm)
Indie and rock with Affleck formerly of Eatenbybears.
- See The G-Man’s guide to Cork Culture Night.
- Tradiohead @ The Small Crane, Sea Road, Galway (9:30pm – Late)
Tradiohead take the songs of Radiohead and retread them using instruments more often associated with Irish traditional music.
- Fresh Ré @ Celbridge Library St. Patrick’s Park, Celbridge (7pm-9pm)
Those two young kids who went viral a couple of years back are in this Celbridge band.
- Music from the Movies @ The Orchard Home and Garden, Celbridge (7pm -8pm)
The Liffey Valley Orchestra and the Orchard Home and Garden centre invite you to a proms style concert with “Music From The Movies”. Pieces will include, The Dambusters, The Great Escape, Colonel Bogey / Bridge on the River Kwai, American Patrol, Overture from The Sound of Music and many more favourites.
- Free Beats: Halves, Cat Dowling, The Midnight Union Band & more @ Various venues
Free performances in venues around the city.
- Music Generation Limerick City @ Lime Tree Theatre Mary Immaculate College, Courtbrack Avenue (6:30pm – 10pm)
Music Generation aims to help children and young people to access music education in their own locality.
- Tongue Bundle @ Limerick City Gallery Carnegie Building, Pery Square (5pm – 10pm)
Jazz and funk band.
- The RESOUND Project [email protected] Model, The Mall (9pm)
A “musical co-op” with Chequerboard, Laura Sheeran, Kate Ellis, Linda Buckley and more.
- Sonic Arts Waterford Festival[email protected] Contemporary Gallery (6pm – 8:30pm)
The finest local, national and international experimental, ambient and electronic music/arts artists.
- Sawfest @ Garter Lane Arts Centre (6pm – late )
Sets by Ikea Boy, Dez Link, Boxemissions with visuals and projections by Bangenuf . Booking required.
- Valda Choir @ Selskar Abbey (7pm – 7:20pm)
Singing Madrigals through to Jazz and from Africa to South America.
- Wexford Light Opera Society and Marketa School of Music @ St. Iberius Church (8:30pm – 10pm)
Two groups steeped in the operatic traditions of Wexford Town.
- Irish Youth Chamber Choir @ Old Bray Town Hall (6pm – 6:45pm)
Join conductor Greg Beardsell and members of the Irish Youth Choir for a workshop on Culture Night.