‘Go Up’ is a Cat Power and Pharrell-featuring highlight from Cassius‘ recent Ibufornia album, along with ‘Action’ and the title track in particular. The video is a split screen play on image juxtaposition.
The single had a remix package out late last year that included this rather ridiculously fun-buildup by Butch.
Here’s a context blurb from the site that ID’d most of the tracklist:
Late 2002 some of French most famous names in the house scene started a tour around Western Europe and the USA. Thomas Bangalter, DJ Falcon, Boom Bass and Phillipe Zdar were the names of this formation. But on most dates also Guy Manuel and Pedro Winter were around. This tour’s main purpose was to support the release of Cassius “Au Reve” and Together “So Much Love To Give”. It all started with the radio broadcasts on Radio FG (Cassius FM) where most daft crew artists stopped by and had fun while playing interesting new tunes. A few weeks later they started their tour at the Amsterdam Dance Event in the Paradiso. The following 2 months they played in clubs in Switzerland, USA, UK and France.
The 4 sets recorded from this tour are all more or less legendary. Not only for having 4 of the most valuable french house musician in it, but second for the brilliant track selection, not to mention the emotional keyboard play by Thomas or the live bootlegging by Falcon using his laptop. The Paradiso set is possibly the best 4 hours of French house music I’ve heard to date.
01. New Order – Blue Monday
02. Anne Clark – Our Darkness
03. David Guetta – Just For One Day
04. Prince – Let’s Go Crazy
05. Lifelike – Black Chess
06. Röyksopp – Remind Me (Ernest Saint Laurent’s Moonfish Mix)
07. Alan Braxe – Palladium
08. House Syndicate + Technotronic – Jam The Mace + Pump Up The Jam
09. Daft Punk + Technotronic – Voyager + Pump Up The Jam
10. Morando – Single Bell
11. Björk – Alarm Call (French Dub Remix by Alan Braxe & Benjamin Diamond)
12. Steve Silk Hurly – The Word Is Love
13. Armand Van Helden – Flowerz (feat. Ronald Clark)
14. Demon vs. Heartbreaker + Cosmos – You Are My High (The Bootleg Version) + Take Me With You (Instrumental)
15. Daft Punk – High Life
16. St Germain – Alabama Blues (Todd Edwards Dub Mix)
17. Romanthony – It’s Not The Same (Sample)
18. Le Knight Club – Hysteria (Sample) + (Unknown Track)
19. Da Mongoloids + Janet Jackson – Spark Da Meth + What’s It Gonna Be? (Sample)
01. 95 North + Missy Elliot – The Request + Get Ur Freak On (Sample)
02. Cosmos + Busta Rhymes + Daft Punk – Take Me With You (Instrumental) + It’s A Party (Sample) + Harder, Better, Faster Stronger (Acapella)
03. Together – So Much Love To Give
04. (Unknown Track) + Cassius – Feeling For You (Sample)
05. DJ Gregory + Cassius – Tropical Soundclash + Nulife
06. Harry ‘Choo Choo’ Romero + Masters At Work + Cassius + Royal House + Aaliyah – Keep Your Head Up + Work (Sample) + Thrilla + Can You Party? + Are You That Somebody?
07. (Unknown Track)
08. D*Note + Ginuwine – Shed My Skin (Pete Heller’s Stylus Dub) + Pony (Acappella)
09. Urban Blues Project Presents Jay Williams – Testify (Mousse T.’s Test-A-Beats)
10. Slam – Positive Education
11. Black Legend – You See The Trouble With Me + (Unknown Track)
12. Busta Rhymes + Cassius – What It Is (feat. Kelis) (Sample) + The Sound Of Violence
13. Cassius – The Sound Of Violence (Two Minute Warning Club Mix By Narcotic Thrust)
14. Traffic Signs + Tag Team + Sweet Pussy Pauline + Masters At Work – The Big Fake + Whomp! (There It Is) (Acappella) + Work This Pussy (Acappella) + Work (Acappella)
16. Prassay – Krvsin
01. Prassay + Cassius – Krvsin + The Sound Of Violence (Acappella)
02. Thee Jamie Starr Scenario + The Drug Punks + Busta Rhymes – Welcome 2 Thee Lite + Drug + What It Is (feat. Kelis) (Sample)
03. Le Knight Club + Alan Braxe & Fred Falke + Da Mongoloids + Romanthony – Soul Bells + Intro + Spark Da Meth + Bring U Up (Acappella)
04. Daft Punk + Nick Holder + Tweet – Too Long (Sample) + Summer Daze + Oops (Oh My) (Acappella)
05. (Unknown Track)
06. (Unknown Track)
07. Who Da Funk – Shiny Disco Balls
08. Cassius + DJ Sneak + Aaliyah – La Mouche (Played Live By DJ Falcon) + Wanna Sing? (Sample) + Are You That Somebody? (Sample)
01. Nelly – Hot In Herre
02. Jay-Z – I Just Wanna Love U
03. Cassius – Thrilla (feat. Ghostface Killah)
04. Jose Nunez – Air Race
05. (Unknown Track)
06. Thomas Bangalter + X-Press 2 – Colossus + London X-Press
07. The Sherbs – We Ride Tonight (Sample)
08. Together – Together
09. Britney Spears – Anticipating (Alan Braxe Mix 2)
The Belfast boys deliver a stonker.
The Belfast house duo Bicep have been on some roll of late. Everything they touch has a sense of magic to it.
Last year’s output included two tunes that due to heavy rotation were basically instant classics. The bleeping minimalism of ‘Just’ dominated but their collaboration with Hammer ‘Dahlia’ was equally moving.
For a 2016 reminder, their Isaac Tichauer’s ‘Higher Level’ remix follows the lead of ‘Just’ building from booming house-bass track to a siren synth line over the song’s “at a higher level” vocal sample. It’s music to get lost it.
The Loft Record release with remixes from Hackman, Dorsia and Lancelot, is available on 12″ has sold out vinyl wise but is available digitally on April 22nd.
Irish album of the year contender dropped on Friday.
God Knows, MuRli and MynameisjOhn dropped Let The Dead Bury The Dead, their brilliant second album on Friday and in the process, the Limerick-based rap trio explore the fertile ground between two distinct cultural polarities, as an African migrant in Ireland with familial pressure and the balancing act between expectation and the determination to follow a chosen path. It’s full of heart and soul.
‘Lights On’, the album’s new single is a way in. It’s a song about embracing your new surroundings and being yourself – in Rusangano’s case – being African, Irish, Limerick, Clare, repping the culture they’re experiencing and involved in.
In 2013, the remaining Beasties Mike D and Adrock appeared in a Yoko Ono video but there’s been very little else on offer.
On Friday, French band Cassius changed that with the appearance of a new song ‘Action’ featuring Mike D and singer Cat Power on the hook. It’s a rolling percussive dance track that has the hallmarks of a laid-back sunshine groove.