Recent Polaris Prize winner Kaytranada is a frequent dealer of dancefloor edits and he’s come through with two edits that were needed of two of the best tunes of the year – Chance The Rapper’s ‘All Nite’ and Solange’s ‘Cranes In The Sky’. Both available for download too.
Among the many worthy albums released last Friday was Kaytranada’s long-awaited 99.9% debut album on XL.
On the LP, ‘Lite Spots’ is a summer jam, reminiscent of Cut Chemist at the peak of his powers of sample-alchemy, complete with Kaytranada’s trademark beat bumps.
The super fun video directed by Martin C. Pariseau, pairs Kay up with a robot to which himself and a cast of humans teach some sweet dance moves to. That is, until the bot gets intimidated by some particular complex moves.
His smoked tones are perfectly suited to Kaytranada’s bumping productions as you can hear on ‘Glowed Up’, a return for Kay’s production work on ‘Lite Weight’. 99.9% is out on XL on May 6th and features Craig David, Karriem Riggins, Alunageorge, Goldlink, Vic Mensa, Syd and Little Dragon.
The Fader interview with Kay a good read, with him talking about the thought process around coming out as gay and how it was/is affecting his life.
KAYTRANADA – 99.9% Track list
1. Track Uno
2. Bus Ride (feat. Karriem Riggins & River Tiber)
3. Got It Good (feat. Craig David)
4. Together (feat. AlunaGeorge & GoldLink)
5. Drive Me Crazy (feat. Vic Mensa)
6. Weight Off (feat. BADBADNOTGOOD)
7. One Too Many (feat. Phonte)
8. Despite The Weather
9. Glowed Up (feat. Anderson .Paak)
10. Breakdance Lesson N.1.
11. You’re The One (feat. Syd)
12. Vivid Dreams (feat. River Tiber)
13. Lite Spots
14. Leave Me Alone (feat. Shay Lia)
15. Bullets (feat. Little Dragon)
Katy B has a new album called Honey coming described as “a love letter to Katy’s natural home – the global club underground.”
This is who is on it:
1. Katy B x KAYTRANADA — Honey
2. Katy B x Major Lazer x Craig David — Who Am I
3. Katy B x Wilkinson x Stamina MC — So Far Away
4. Katy B x Sasha Keable x JD. Reid — Chase Me
5. Katy B x The HeavyTrackerz x J Hus x D Double E — Lose Your Head
6. Katy B x Chris Lorenzo — I Wanna Be
7. Katy B x Four Tet x Floating Points — Calm Down
8. Katy B x Mr. Mitch — Heavy
9. KDA ft Katy B – Turn The Music Louder (Rumble)
10. Katy B x Jamie Jones x Kate Simko — Dark Delirium
11. Katy B x MssingNo x Geeneus — Water Rising
12. Katy B x Hannah Wants — Dreamers
13. Katy B x Novelist x Geeneus— Honey (Outro)
That’s a lot of guests. We’ve already heard ‘Calm Down’, her collab with Four Tet and Floating Points:
Today Katy revealed the opening track produced by Kaytranada:
Honey is out April 29th via Rinse/Virgin EMI.
Katy B will be a hosting a special Honey launch party at XOYO on Friday with Bok Bok, Ms Dynamite, Josey Rebelle, Spoony, Mr.Mitch, JD. Reid, The Heavytrackerz, Hannah Wants and Yasmin. She then headlines Brixton Academy on May 14th.
Odd Future affiliated group The Internet, Syd Bennett, Mat Martians and band are back with a new album called Ego Death on June 30th and it sounds like the start of something clean, focused and real from them.
Ego Death will feature guests like Janelle Monae, Vic Mensa, Kaytranada, Tyler, The Creator and more. ‘Special Affair’ has a low-slung Badu R&B vibe to it.
Towkio has dropped his free-download WAV. Theory mixtape which is a solid collection of electronic-infused rap with great guests like Chance The Rapper, Kaytranada, Vic Mensa and FKJ, some of which are childhood friends of his.
Standouts include the club disco-inflected ‘Involved’, the Chance The Rapper uplifting closing track ‘Heaven Only Knows’ and the bumping ‘Reflection’. It’s all high-quality though.
Chance The Rapper’s Surf album is due to drop in the next few days.
The Canadian producer’s debut XL single ‘Leave Me Alone’ last year was one of the best tracks around, a tune that endlessly kicked itself around my skull since it appeared last August.
Now, Kaytranada with a rising guest in tow, Vic Mensa (him of the Disclosure production ‘Down On My Luck’) has joined him once again for ‘Drive Me Crazy’, a minimal cut with an icy beat and big bass notes.