It’s been too long but Cadence Weapon is baaack. And on a beat by fellow Canadian Kaytranada? Sweet.
‘My Crew (Woooo)’ is a fresh reintroduction to Rollie Pemberton. It’s his first since 2012’s Hope In Dirt City from the former Edmonton poet laureate and is inspired by his time spent in Montreal. Rollie says the song is “an anthem about unapologetically being who you want to be, no matter what anybody else thinks.”
“There’s a sense of personal freedom that’s unique to Montreal and ‘My Crew (Woooo)’ is a representation of that feeling. It’s a song about defying the labels that people try to place on artists. Is it underground? Mainstream? Conscious? Trap? Who cares, as long as it sounds dope.”
Yesterday, NAO was announced for Dublin’s Forbidden Fruit Festival and today, the singer has dropped a remix companion EP to last year’s debut album For All We Know.
Featuring 5 reworks of songs from the album, it includes a dancehall, Autotuned version of ‘In The Morning’ from Mura Masa, A Stormzy feature on the Loxe remix of ‘Feels Like’, a Sam Gellaitry remix of ‘DYWM’, SBTRKT’s subdued low-end ‘Bad Blood’ rework, and as is often the case with these things, a standout bumping remix from Kaytranada that channels those ‘Cranes In The Sky’ for a new vibe on ‘Get To Know Ya’.
Recent Polaris Prize winner Kaytranada is a frequent dealer of dancefloor edits and he’s come through with two edits that were needed of two of the best tunes of the year – Chance The Rapper’s ‘All Nite’ and Solange’s ‘Cranes In The Sky’. Both available for download too.
Among the many worthy albums released last Friday was Kaytranada’s long-awaited 99.9% debut album on XL.
On the LP, ‘Lite Spots’ is a summer jam, reminiscent of Cut Chemist at the peak of his powers of sample-alchemy, complete with Kaytranada’s trademark beat bumps.
The super fun video directed by Martin C. Pariseau, pairs Kay up with a robot to which himself and a cast of humans teach some sweet dance moves to. That is, until the bot gets intimidated by some particular complex moves.
His smoked tones are perfectly suited to Kaytranada’s bumping productions as you can hear on ‘Glowed Up’, a return for Kay’s production work on ‘Lite Weight’. 99.9% is out on XL on May 6th and features Craig David, Karriem Riggins, Alunageorge, Goldlink, Vic Mensa, Syd and Little Dragon.
The Fader interview with Kay a good read, with him talking about the thought process around coming out as gay and how it was/is affecting his life.
KAYTRANADA – 99.9% Track list
1. Track Uno
2. Bus Ride (feat. Karriem Riggins & River Tiber)
3. Got It Good (feat. Craig David)
4. Together (feat. AlunaGeorge & GoldLink)
5. Drive Me Crazy (feat. Vic Mensa)
6. Weight Off (feat. BADBADNOTGOOD)
7. One Too Many (feat. Phonte)
8. Despite The Weather
9. Glowed Up (feat. Anderson .Paak)
10. Breakdance Lesson N.1.
11. You’re The One (feat. Syd)
12. Vivid Dreams (feat. River Tiber)
13. Lite Spots
14. Leave Me Alone (feat. Shay Lia)
15. Bullets (feat. Little Dragon)
Katy B has a new album called Honey coming described as “a love letter to Katy’s natural home – the global club underground.”
This is who is on it:
1. Katy B x KAYTRANADA — Honey
2. Katy B x Major Lazer x Craig David — Who Am I
3. Katy B x Wilkinson x Stamina MC — So Far Away
4. Katy B x Sasha Keable x JD. Reid — Chase Me
5. Katy B x The HeavyTrackerz x J Hus x D Double E — Lose Your Head
6. Katy B x Chris Lorenzo — I Wanna Be
7. Katy B x Four Tet x Floating Points — Calm Down
8. Katy B x Mr. Mitch — Heavy
9. KDA ft Katy B – Turn The Music Louder (Rumble)
10. Katy B x Jamie Jones x Kate Simko — Dark Delirium
11. Katy B x MssingNo x Geeneus — Water Rising
12. Katy B x Hannah Wants — Dreamers
13. Katy B x Novelist x Geeneus— Honey (Outro)
That’s a lot of guests. We’ve already heard ‘Calm Down’, her collab with Four Tet and Floating Points:
Today Katy revealed the opening track produced by Kaytranada:
Katy B will be a hosting a special Honey launch party at XOYO on Friday with Bok Bok, Ms Dynamite, Josey Rebelle, Spoony, Mr.Mitch, JD. Reid, The Heavytrackerz, Hannah Wants and Yasmin. She then headlines Brixton Academy on May 14th.