Regular club nights and venue information. | Subscribe to the newsletter.
Having picked itself up and dusted itself off from the Jazz, Cork swings back into action with a wide variety of shows across the latter half of the week. We pick the guide up from Wednesday, owing to a quiet start.
WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 9th
- Papertrail @ Cyprus Avenue (8pm, free)
Cork session musicians turned art-rockers launch single ‘I Never Knew That I Was Anyone’ with Sam Clague in tow.
- Claire O’Brien @ Gulpd Cafe (8pm, free/donations)
Solo performance to start off a month’s residency in the Triskel, self-composed songs with piano & covers utilising piano and autoharp.
- Backroad Smokers’ Club @ Crane Lane Theatre (midnight, free)
The funk, the whole funk and nothing but the funk from Waterford psych-funk five-piece. Presented by Alliance Promotions.
THURSDAY NOVEMBER 10th
- Joe Purdy @ Cyprus Avenue (8pm, €15)
Arkansas guitar-man, channeling counter-culture folk greats, stops in Cork
- Oh Pep! @ Levis’, Ballydehob (8pm, €10)
Aussie pop-folkers continue an extensive run of Irish dates.
- A Scene from Jaws @ Fred Zeppelin’s (8pm, free)
Cork synth-punks headline CIT Music Soc show with support from Small Talk Radio and James Biggins.
- Kris Drever @ Coughlan’s (9pm, €15)
Lau frontman celebrates ten years of solo songwriting with a new album and tour.
- Kate Simko @ The Bowery (11pm, €8.05)
Chicago producer/DJ & Smartbar resident stops in Cork as part of Heineken-sponsored showcase tour.
FRIDAY NOVEMBER 4TH
- We Cut Corners @ Cyprus Avenue (8pm, €12.50)
Indie-pop/folk duo and collaborators take to Cyprus Avenue in support of their third long-player.
- Ensemble Ériu @ Connolly’s of Leap (8pm. €10)
Seven-piece ensemble that take a post-modern approach to the Irish traditional idiom. Debut West Cork show.
- The Moonstomp @ The Sextant (9.30pm, free)
Cork’s only dedicated night for reggae, ska, two-tone, rocksteady and other dancing music. Residents Ian Fiasco and Bob Skavna joined by Dublin selecter DJ Fuxy.
- Dax J @ Cyprus Avenue (11pm, €15)
London electronic-music powerhouse, with BBC Essential Mix features and other accolades under his belt.
SATURDAY NOVEMBER 5TH
- Megacone, Aponym and more @ UrbanJungle (8pm, €5)
Dublin math-rock five-piece play the Sheares’ Street basement venue with debutants Aponym supporting.
- The Smoke Clears, Huerco S & Wry Myrrh @ Triskel TDC (9.30pm, €12)
Triple-bill of minimal electronics, headlined by Galway producer John Daly, aka The Smoke Clears. In conjunction with Cork Film Festival.
- The Boswell Boys @ The Friary (9.30pm, free)
Vaudevillian japes, comedy improv and what have you from Detroit banjo/accordion duo.
SUNDAY NOVEMBER 6TH
- Cal Folger Day @ Gulpd Cafe (8pm, €5)
Dublin-based American presents an adaptation of Djuna Barnes’ short play ‘At the Roots of the Stars’ as an operetta.