Regular club nights and venue information. | Subscribe to the newsletter.
Highlights: Pional, Matthew E. White, Temple Bar Tradfest, Totally Dublin’s Stack Party, Daughter, Mumblin’ Deaf Ro, The Certain Three Tour, The Joy Formidable.
The Nialler9 Gig Guide is the weekly list of personally recommended Dublin gigs taking place over the next seven days published every Tuesday. It’s not intended to list all gigs taking place in Dublin, but serves as a guide for the ones deemed the most interesting and unmissable. All times are 7:30/8:00pm unless stated. If you’re looking for tickets to sold out gigs try #ticketfairy on Twitter.
Ticket freebies this week:
Tickets to giveaway to Pional (Saturday) and Matthew E White (Sunday). Full details below.
- How to enter – Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, the gig in the Subject line you’re entering for and phone number before 5pm the day before the gig to enter.
Tuesday January 22nd
- Othered Voices: Jinx Lennon, Ophelia, MissElayneous @ Adifferentkettleoffishaltogether, 18 Ormond Quay Upper (Free but limited seats)
Features in a two-day series of events featuring narratives in musical performance.
Wednesday January 23rd
- Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill – The Sands Family @ ChristChurch cathedral (€17.50-€35)
Part of Temple Bar Tradfest 2013.
- Sierra Leone’s Refugee All Stars @ National Concert Hall (€16-€34)
Highlife and reggae.
Thursday January 24th
- Totally Dublin Stack Party: New Jackson, Cian Nugent & The Cosmos, Ginnels with Choice Cuts, Nialler9, Forza Italo, Mother’s Kelly-Anne Byrne DJs @ ELY CHQ Caverns (Free but limited)
TD 100th issue special gig for 100 people with Jools Holland style change overs.
- Temple Bar Tradfest @ The Button Factory (€17, €15.30 for students)
Aoife Scott, Perfect Friction and the 2012 Trad for Trócaire winners Truancy and Téada.
- ‘Kill All Redneck Pricks: A Documentary Film about a Band Called KARP’ Screening@ The Joinery (€8)
A film by William Badgely charting the career of the seminal heavy metal/sludge band KARP.
- Mumblin’ Deaf Ro, Barry McCormack, Land Lovers @ The Odessa Club (€8)
Another chance to see Ronan Hession and band perform songs from his now Choice Prize-nominated album.
Friday January 25th
- ZoiD, Eomac, LionFX, Exit Introvert @ King 7, Capel Street (€5, 9pm)
EP launch for Daniel Jacobsen’s new EP on Boy Scout Audio.
- Wounds, September Girls, Vacant, Pulled Apart @ Fibber Magee’s Upstairs (€7)
Album launch for this lot.
- 3 Bill Party: Cait, Orlando & Lil Dave @ Pacino’s Basement, Suffolk Street (€3)
“Just good music and fun people”.
- Hefty Horse presents Drunken Boat’s last ever show, Cave Ghosts, Shane Holly @ Twisted Pepper (€8)
Let Go, Be Still EP stream.
- MUD & All City present: Dusky, All City DJs @ Twisted Pepper (€8, 10:30pm)
Feisty techno from London.
- Melodic: Ripperton @ Lost Society (€10/€12)
Swiss beats of the techno variety.
Saturday January 26th
- Daughter, Farewell J.R. @ The Button Factory (Sold out)
Beautifully tense indie-folk from Elena Tonra and band. Album coming out on 4AD soon.
- The Joy Formidable @ The Academy (€15)
Welsh rock trio. Listen to their new album.
- The Certain Three Tour: Nanu Nanu, Si Schroeder and Trumpets of Jericho @ Whelan’s (€10)
A Dublin leg of the three new acts touring around the country under the Certain Three banner this year.
- Hidden Agenda/Nightflight: Pional, Adultrock, Jon Averill @ Button Factory (€10 cheaplist, 11pm)
John Talabot’s vocal partner plays solo.
Sunday January 27th
- Matthew E. White @ Whelan’s (€12.50)
An American country soul artist whose new album is causing a buzz.
Monday January 28th
- Nothing to see here.