Regular club nights and venue information. | Subscribe to the newsletter.
A busy week of music kicks off tonight, with independent artists and DJs gigging nightly around the city and county. ECM Records presents its second annual weekender in the Triskel, while Fight Like Apes’ farewell tour takes in Connolly’s of Leap.
Monday November 21st
- The Suitcase Junket @ Quay Co-Op (7pm, donations)
Slide-guitar/blues specialist makes a pass-the-hat appearance at Cork’s oldest veggie restaurant.
- Morgan O’Kane @ Crane Lane Theatre (midnight, free)
Banjo, suitcase percussion and other blues/bluegrass staples, as featured by Louie CK’s TV show ‘Louie’.
Tuesday November 22nd
- Blaming Hannah @ The Kino (8.30pm, €6)
Kinsale indie/pop youngsters on a BYOB session in the Washington Street theatre.
Wednesday November 23rd
- Claire O’Brien @ Gulpd Cafe (8pm, donations)
Week three of a month-long residency sees the public debut of ‘River Woman’, a song cycle written for three voices.
- BLOCK @ Burritos & Blues (8pm, €7)
Electronica of all shades from Cork-resident DJ collective in a BYOB, burrito-friendly environment.
- DUSKY @ The Old Oak (10pm, €5)
Widely-spun London house duo, now going it alone with their new label.
Thursday November 24th
- The Eskies @ Cyprus Avenue (8pm, €10)
Folk/gypsy-jazz/klezmer/etc. ruckus from brass-toting five-piece.
- Some Rise, Some Fall @ Coughlan’s (9pm, €10)
Launch gig for Leeside Americana/folk “eclective” comprised of Cork gigging veterans.
- Cork Improvised Music Club @ Gulpd Cafe (9pm, €3)
Gulpd’s weekly improv session sees sound-maker Mick O’Shea joined by Oscar Wyers and more.
Friday November 25th
- Fight Like Apes @ Connolly’s of Leap (8pm, €16)
Last Cork hurrah for Dublin’s game-changing synth-pop-punk messers.
- Crow Black Chicken @ Cyprus Avenue (8pm, €8)
Blues-rock power-trio continue their never-ending tour with a hometown show.
- Anja Lechner & Francois Couturier @ Triskel Christchurch (8.30pm, €5)
Jazz pioneers ECM Records kick off a weekender in the Triskel with a collaboration inspired by some of music history’s lesser-spotted influencers.
- John Blek @ Coughlan’s (9.30pm, €12)
Album launch for Cork songwriter’s second solo long-player. Support from Marlene Enright.
- Techno Fridays @ Cyprus Avenue (11pm, €6)
Double-header of Waterford house from Niall Power and Cailín Power.
Saturday November 26th
- Will Varley @ Cyprus Avenue (8pm, €12.50)
Acoustic/agitprop from Xtra Mile Records man renowned for walking 500 miles with a guitar on his back.
- Moon Looks On @ Levis’ of Ballydehob (8pm, donations)
Other Voices-bound folk/soul four piece play an intimate gig at Levis’ on the usual pass-the-hat basis.
- Ralph Towner @ Triskel Christchurch (8.30pm, €25)
Acoustic jazz from world-travelled veteran/Oregon bandleader as part of ECM Records’ Triskel Weekender.
- Deep Blue Sessions @ Cyprus Avenue (11pm, €10)
Special installment of house DJs’ regular night at the venue, all money going to Pieta House.
Sunday November 27th
- David Kitt @ Levis’ of Ballydehob (8pm, €10)
Singer-songwriter veteran shows off material from new album ‘Yous’, taking in beats, sampling and guitar.
- Marcin Wasilewski Trio @ Triskel Christchurch (8.30pm, €25)
Veteran Polish jazz trio, striking a balance of traditional and contemporary genre influences, play the Triskel for the ECM Weekender.
- Wyvern Lingo @ Cyprus Avenue (9pm, €15)
Soulful rock trio on the Leeside stop of their year-ending Cork tour, before starting on their debut album.