THURSDAY AUGUST 23RD
- County Vinyl x Looptown @ SUAS Bar (7.30pm, free)
Back-to-back house and such, upstairs on Paradise Place. Early gig, early finish.
- Jim White @ Coughlan’s (9pm, €15)
Singer-songwriter, producer and general head-scratcher Jim White heads to Douglas Street.
- JusMe & Olan @ Dali (10pm, free)
Grime, hip-hop and house courtesy of Jus and Olan, as part of the Carey’s Lane venue’s weekly freebie.
FRIDAY AUGUST 24TH
- Cloud Castle Lake @ The Roundy (8pm, €8)
Dublin four-piece make long-overdue Cork appearance at the home of PLUGD Records, to tour new LP ‘Malingerer’, with support from Pale Rivers.
- JFDR @ Connolly’s of Leap (8pm, €12)
The latest project from Iceland’s Jófríður Ákadóttir (Samaris, Pascal Pinon, Gangly), a blend of cyclical guitar parts, soft minimal soundscapes.
- Dott & Hope is Noise @ Fred Zeppelin’s (9pm, free)
Galway alt-pop outfit launch new album ‘Heart Swell’ at the red room on Parliament Street. Support from Cork post-hardcore godfathers Hope is Noise.
- The Ska is the Limit @ The Brú (9pm, free)
Ska and two-tone diplomacy from The Ska Ambassador, on assignment in an official capacity at the groundfloor of an international hostel.
- Not How, When! @ Dali (10pm, €tbc)
Dancing music from the residents at NHW!’s new monthly Carey’s Lane excursion.
- The Hanley Brothers @ Cyprus Avenue (11pm, €7)
Cork-based brother house duo head back to Caroline Street for another tilt at the decks.
SATURDAY AUGUST 25TH
- Cuttin’ Heads Collective BYOB Boat Party @ a boat (6pm, €25)
The Headcutters get on a boat, sail to the county’s coast, and spin tunes, while the price of entry also includes tix to the Detax gig (below). BYO booze. Not sure how many tickets are left, but get in touch at the link above.
- County Vinyl & Fio Fa @ The Roundy (8pm, free)
The County Vinyl boys’ monthly residency at The Roundy continues with Pear record label co-founder and producer Fio Fa.
- Lauren Guillery @ Levis’ of Ballydehob (8pm, pass-the-hat)
French-born and Clonakilty-adopted rock songstress heads to Levis’ for her debut there, off the back of debut full-length ‘Disaster in La-La Land’.
- Detax @ The Poor Relation (9pm, €7)
Having returned from their journey at sea, the CHC crew present UK rapper/Outerclass lyricist Detax in a solo show.
- Vinyl Below @ Dali (10pm, €tbc)
The return of the VB residents to the Dali’s Arclines for a pre-Dimensions party to help finish the venue’s first summer in business.
- Tiarnøla @ Cyprus Avenue (11pm, €tbc)
Irish Techno Mafia don takes to Cyprus Avenue with rave and techno in the works. Support from Rich Murphy and Daxmak.
SUNDAY AUGUST 26TH
- Jackson Dyer @ Connolly’s of Leap (8pm, free)
Berlin-based and NSW-bred, singer-songwriter and producer heads under the Hammers while on Irish excursion.
- Fellow Pynins @ Levis’ of Ballydehob (8pm, €10)
Oregon folk duo bring their lifetime of touring, parenting and companionship to gentle compositions and interplay.
- Sunday Times! @ The Bowery (9pm, free)
Former ST resident Dean Feeney returns to the fray for an end-of-summer rooftop shindig with the residents.
To submit gigs for consideration to the Nialler9 Cork gig guide, email: mikemcgrathbryan(at)gmail.com, or slide into the DMs: @mike_mcgb.
While you’re here, check out Red on Red, your writer’s new podcast for Cork’s RedFM, spotlighting the city’s independent music community. This week: we’re previewing Cork’s contributions to next weekend’s Electric Picnic, and talking to Generic People about their experience running the festival’s Hazel Wood stage. Listen, subscribe and catch up here, or find us on iTunes, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and more.