The annual Culture Night where buildings, museums, galleries and more open their doors to the public for the night is happening this Friday night. Here’s a roundup of all the recommended official Culture Night musical events happening. Free unless stated otherwise. Full programmes. iPhone and Android apps are also available.
Going to be in Cork on Friday? Come join us at Bodega for the Sounds From A Safe Harbour Music Trail Culture Night with Rusangano Family and Shookrah.
1. Downstairs Dublin @ Merrion Square (5pm – 10pm)
Irish Times curate talks, music, food and more in Georgian Dublin. Music comes from Hard Working Class Heroes acts including Bagels; 13; Staring At Lakes; Patrick Freeman and AikJ. Shameless plug: Soundbites With food by my wife Aoife Forkful – share a snack with a stranger and ask each other questions in the process. Also: Aoife Dooley drawing hun portraits, Morning Gloryville, architecture, boxercise and ESB Feis Ceoil winners 2015 performing.
2. Ourfarm.ie @ NCAD (7pm – 10pm)
Music from Ájo Arkestra (Dublin AfroBeat Ensemble) and Culture Night official ambassadors Le Galaxie in the cultural centre of Dublin’s Liberties – the National College of Art & Design, Thomas Street, Dublin 8.
3. Gavin James @ Irish Music Rights Organisation, Pembroke Row (7pm – 9pm)
An evening with the singer-songwriter Gavin James with an interview into his creative process.
4. Live Music at Trinity: RTÉ Philharmonic Choir / Stomptown Brass @ Trinity College Dublin Main Square (6pm/6:30pm)
RTE adult choir / The New Orleans-style Dublin brass band perform outdoors.
5. Culture Night @ Airbnb Dublin Office, South Lotts Rd & Bridge Street in Dublin (6pm – 10pm)
Airbnb hosts Buffalo Woman play live, DJ set from This Greedy Pig. The event was curated in association with Making Space.
6. Culture Night @ The Contemporary Music Centre (6.15pm – 10pm)
An evening of new music and conversation CMC Salon style with leading contemporary composers and performers, interspersed by live electronic sets in the Centre’s outdoor courtyard. http://cmc.ie/
7. Lisa O’Neill @ Pavilion Theatre, Dún Laoghaire (7pm)
Live set from the Cavan singer/songwriter / storyteller. A screening of Sigur Ros’ Heima at 10pm.
8. RTE ARENA Live Show @ Meeting House Square, Temple Bar (7pm – 10pm)
Live radio broadcast feat mix of interviews, music, poetry, drama and comedy with musical accompaniment from the RTEì Concert Orchestra. Classical, pop and trad music including Lisa Lambe, Moxie, Enda O’Reilly and Fiach Moriarty.
9. Tour @ Windmill Lane Recording Studios (6pm – 10pm)
Tour of the studio plus three live events.
10. Come Rhyme With Me @ Outhouse LGBT Community Resource Centre, Capel Street (7.15pm – 8:15pm)
A spoken word explosion for poetry floozies, dictionary nerds, rappers, slammers, chit chat brats, phonetic freaks & lingual lovers. Articulate your tittle tattle about the state of the nation, lust up your language, get your rant on, listen, argue, retort, retract and respond. Come Rhyme With Us. (Una Mullally & Vicky Curtis)
11. Ableton ‘DJ’ Push Playground – Sound Training College, Temple Bar (6pm – 10pm)
15 minute session to get familiar with the music creation software Ableton.
12. Gamelan Workshops @ National Concert Hall (6:15pm – 10pm)
An introduction to Javanese gamelan music and playing techniques – no previous musical experience is necessary, just a willingness to sit on the floor, take off your shoes and have fun.
For all other regions see the following websites: