© 2022 Slane Irish Whiskey
I’m back from a great week in Poland (not as cold as Ireland despite my assumptions). Here’s a list of things I missed while I was away:
- Awards Season is nearly upon us once again with Jim announcing details of the Choice Music Prize and the “paramount” of Irish music awards – the Meteors also announcing nominees.
- Twas a week of music videos as Magooo pointed us to Snoop’s late entry for video of the year, The Bug and Warrior Queen’s run of stellar collaborations continues with “Poison Dart” and one of my favourite songs of the year “Oh my God” by Ida Maria gets a video and an inferior re-recorded album version to boot.
- February gigs off with a bang in Crawdaddy: Aesop Rock and Mala.
- Shane went to a gig I didn’t want to miss while I was away, Efterklang in Whelans. Speaking of the Danish group, the wonderful sleeve for Under Giant Trees is scrutinised by Sleevage, the best album art blog going.
- Hugger’s getting into the Christmas Spirit by asking his favourite artists for their favourite Christmas songs.
- Get a mixtape featuring J Dilla beats and Busta Rhymes eh, rhymes over at MickBoogie.
- Analog Giant has a superb remix of Radiohead’s track “Nude” by Amplive (of Zion I) furthering my credence that Radiohead make smashing hip hop instrumental backing tracks.
- Daytrotter posted a cool old-school Flosstradamus remix of Cool Kids’ “Pump up the Volume”.
- The Super Furries plan to giveaway.. wait for it “The Gift that keeps Giving” as a free single with b-side and artwork on Christmas Day.
- Lyric FM’s Apex program featured Aphex Twin’s Selected Ambient Works 1985-1992 yesterday. Listen to it here (Warning – It’s in annoying Realplayer format.)
- Remixers! You can download source files for two tracks from Saul William’s Niggy Tardust. Details here.
- Colz has a November Dubstep mix!
- The nialler9 Facebook group is going strong with 155 members and some actual activity too which is a pleasant surprise. Don is looking for a copy of one of Prince’s side-projects called The Family (Anyone know of it?) and posted a sweet Harry Nilsson Blackalicious-sampled video. Shane Kelleher recommends Milosh after catching him on Donal Dineen’s Month of Sundays tour. Join the group.
Starting tomorrow (hopefully), I’ll be kicking off the second annual Irish album poll so start thinking of your favourites. I’ll also be running a separate Irish EP poll as there has been some great stuff released in this country this year which should be recognised too.