Highlights: Le Galaxie, Action Bronson, State’s Midnight Mass with Skelocrats and more, Hidden Agenda’s Xmas Party with Frank B, Toby Kaar and Krystal Klear, Forward/Slash with Tara Masterson Hally, xxxy, On The Record presents 2013, Alex Metric, Twinkranes with Girls Names.
The Nialler9 Gig Guide is the weekly list of personally recommended Dublin gigs taking place over the next seven days published every Tuesday. It’s not intended to list all gigs taking place, but ones deemed the most interesting and unmissable. All times are 7:30/8:00pm unless stated. If you’re looking for tickets to sold out gigs try #ticketfairy on Twitter.
Ticket freebies this week:
A pair of tickets to giveaway to:
- Friday: Le Galaxie, Reid, Last Days of 1984 @ The Workman’s Club
- How to enter – Email [email protected] with your full name, the gig in the Subject line you’re entering for and phone number before 5pm the day before the gig to enter.
Tuesday December 18th
- Glen Hansard @ Vicar Street (€17.50)
A 3 hour show with lots of friends as guests.
- Ruby Sessions: Heathers, Kodaline, Hudson Taylor, Gavin James @ Doyle’s (9pm, €6)
Mainstream-leaning Christmas party from Ruby.
- Action Bronson @ Twisted Pepper (€18)
The Jewish rapper who sounds like Ghostface is back.
- The Strypes, Maud In Cahoots @ Whelan’s (Sold out)
Definitely worth seeing. These kids can play.
- Tarantino Reworked: Moo!, Yellowbridge, C-fit, The Velvetones, The Stalks @ The Grand Social (€3)
A night of Tarantino-related songs.
Wednesday December 19th
- Jogging, No Spill Blood, Ginnels @ The Workman’s Club (€8)
A fast and furious guitar Christmas show.
- Simon Bird @ Pepper Canister Church (€8)
Last of the Four Night series of gigs.
- Strangeways, Here We Come! presents DISTANCE @ Lost Society (€8/10, 10.30pm)
Big name in bass music.
Thursday December 20th
- State Midnight Mass: Skelocrats, Ghost Estates, The Notas, Deaf Joe, Cat Dowling @ The Mercantile (FREE)
State.ie’s Christmas night in aid of Pieta House so donations welcome.
- Sounds Of System Breakdown, Nanu Nanu @ Whelan’s Upstairs (Pay what you like)
Album fundraiser + DJ set from Fight Like Apes’ Pockets.
- Hot Colossus @ Sin É (Free)
Gaz Le Rock’s new band.
- Fred, Luke Slott @ The Workman’s Club (€14.50)
Songs from 15 years of the Cork band.
- Forward/Slash: Tara Masterson Hally with Rhino Magic @ Twisted Pepper (Free)
Atmospheric folk singer ‘Sighed A Sigh‘.
Friday December 21st
- Trailblaze – “ Can You Keep a Secret? ” @ Freemason’s Lodge (€15)
Speakers include Una Mullally, Roisin Ingle, NEil Watkins, Noeline Kavanagh and music from Nanu Nanu and Chequerboard.
- Delorentos @ Vicar Street (€20)
The band’s biggest ever show.
- Lisa O’Neill, Mossy Nolan @ Whelan’s (€10)
A contemporary folk voice and a contemporary trad voice.
- Turn @ The Button Factory (€15)
Some people will be reliving their youth.
- Le Galaxie, Reid, Last Days of 1984 @ The Workman’s Club (Sold out, WIN TICKETS ABOVE)
Electro Xmas neon blowout.
- Deputy Fuzz, National Prayer Breakfast @ Whelan’s (€5, €8 with album)
10th year anniversary gig featuring James Byrne of Any Other City/Villagers and Bronwyn from Grand Pocket Orchestra.
- Alex Metric @ The Academy (€15)
High profile remixer of note will surely put on a good to great set.
- xxxy, Dirty Dubsters @ Twisted Pepper (€12, 10.30pm)
Plus Frankie Grimes, Barry Krishna and more.
Saturday December 22nd
- Hudson Taylor @ Academy 2 (€10, 1pm)
All-ages matinée show.
- Attention Bébé @ The Village (€10)
Raucous ramshackle party covers.
- Skinny Wolves: Twinkranes, Girls Names, I am The Cosmos @ Whelan’s (€12)
A Black Christmas celebration…
- Le Galaxie, Daithi, White Collar Boy @ The Workman’s Club (Sold out)
Electro Xmas neon blowout.
- On The Record presents 2013 @ Twisted Pepper (€12/€8 members)
Jim Carroll’s picks for next year: Forrests, WIFE, Rosie Carney & Katherine Phillippa.
- Spies, Tandem Felix, Jet Setter @ The Grand Social (€5 before 9pm, €7 after)
Spies’ second annual seasonal soirée.
- R.S.A.G., Ocho, Plutonic Dust @ Button Factory (Free)
Button Factory Christmas party.
- POGO & Subject: Dave Clarke @ The Twisted Pepper (€22, 10:30pm)
Legendary dance DJ with support from Move D, Sunil Sharpe and more.
- Hidden Agenda: Krystal Klear, Frank B, Toby Kaar @ Button Factory (€15)
Celebrate Christmas with three excellent electronic producers.
Sunday December 23rd
- 12 Sundays: Xmas party @ The Bernard Shaw (Free)
Laid back Sunday pint vibes with added Mince pies.
- Damien Dempsey @ Vicar Street (€30)
Almighty Love extra Christmas show.
- Radiomade and Fatty Fatty present : Horse Meat Disco @ The Sugar Club (9pm, €10)
With Horse Meat Disco, Sleep Thieves and Indecent Cigar Emporium.
Monday December 24th
It’s Christmas. Go be with your loved ones.