As we round into holiday season, gigs begin to slow down a little before the usual Christmas glut. Plenty tunes still around the gaff for those what wants ’em, though.
TUESDAY NOVEMBER 29TH
- Cystic Fibrosis Association Fundraiser @ Cyprus Avenue (8pm, €5)
Four-band line-up of young artists, including headliners the Burma. All proceeds to the Cystic Fibrosis Association of Ireland.
WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 30TH
- Claire O’Brien @ Gulpd Cafe (8pm, donations)
Final week of month-long residency, this week previewing new songs from upcoming improv-flecked LP ‘Spectre at the Feast’.
THURSDAY DECEMBER 1ST
- James OR @ Cyprus Avenue (8pm, €5)
Following on from this summer’s debut EP ‘Cold Open’, Cork songwriter plays Cyprus Avenue in a full-band, headline show with support from Emma Langford.
- Simmer Down! @ The Friary (9.30, free)
A carefully-curated selection of ska, reggae and other dancing music courtesy of DJ The Ska Ambassador.
FRIDAY DECEMBER 2ND
- David Kitt @ St. Luke’s (7.30, €18)
Irish music veteran launches electronica-informed new album ‘Yous’, with support from Michele Stoddart.
- Abaddon Incarnate & more @ Fred Zeppelin’s (9pm, €8)
Stacked metal bill to launch local promoters Burning Metal, also including Axial Symmetry, Jenova and Mares of Diomedes.
- Colm Fitzpatrick @ The Roundy (9pm, €10)
Leeside singer-songwriter releases debut E.P. in full-band show, with Clare Sands and Malcolm Urquhart in support.
- Beardyman @ Cyprus Avenue (10pm, €22)
Beatboxing champion returns to Cyprus Avenue for another round, bringing new material and collaborators along.
SATURDAY DECEMBER 3RD
- Hypnotic Brass Ensemble @ St. Luke’s (7.30, €27)
Chicago eight-piece rummage through their frames of reference and emerge with a raucous live show.
- The Bartok Project: RTÉ Contempo Quartet (8pm, €15)
The second string quartet by Irish-American composer Swan Hennessy, Haydn’s Op. 76, and composer David Fennessy’s newly commissioned Bow Your Head are all performed live.
- Dubioza Kolektiv @ Cyprus Avenue (8pm, €25)
Bosnian-Herzegovinian collective, endorsed by Faith No More’s Bill Gould, assemble in Cork to showcase their diverse and hyperkinetic live show.
- Under a Plastic Cloud @ Gulpd Cafe (9pm, free)
DJs Phil Hope and John Byrne reach into their collections for the best in freakbeat, Northern Soul, psych and garage-rock.
- FIXITY & Magic Pockets @ Triskel TDC (9pm, €10/€30 with two LPs)
Double album-launch show for Leeside label Penske Recordings’ newest acquisitions: Cork psych/improv outfit FIXITY and Ruadhán O’Meara’s Magic Pockets.
- Lisa O’Neill @ Coughlan’s (9.30, €18)
Songwriter makes a brief swing into Cork as part of Irish dates inbetween European touring stints.
SUNDAY DECEMBER 4TH
- Disco É Cultura @ The Vicarstown Bar (4pm, free)
A world of obscure gems gets the crate-diving treatment from Mick T-Woc and El Capo.
- Malojian @ Coughlan’s (9pm, €12)
Stevie Scullion and friends take to Cork to help launch new record ‘This is Nowhere’.