Home Whelan’s share details of what a gig will be like when the venue reopens on August 10th
The iconic Whelan’s bar and venues is to reopen on reopens on August 10th, pending moving of restrictions into the next phase and the owners have shared their plans for how a gig and the space will operate when it does saying “It’s not the ‘new normal’, it’s the temporary finding your feet normal.”
They include the main room capacity of 450 will be 88 with all shows being seated. Sales will be by the table, so 2,4 or 6 people at a table.
The first few weeks of gigs will be acoustic, trad, folk, comedy, and electronic by nature of the seating arrangements. As they put it “we can’t expect people to stay rooted to a seat when an eight piece rock band is tearing up the stage.”
- Assigned Seating at tables only.
- Temperature checks at the entry.
- Disinfectant hand rub at entry and throughout venue.
- Table service only.
- Advance booking only.
- Lead contact details taken.
For the performers:
- No sharing of vocal mics.
- Vocal mics disinfected after use and not used for at least 3 days later.
- Vocal mics using pop shields.
- Mic stands and leads also disinfected after use.
- Socially distanced dressing room.
- No more than 3 or 4 on stage at any one time.
- Safe distance between band and front of audience.
Gig announcements will be coming on their site next week, though some gigs including Slow Moving Clouds, Kila, CMAT & more are on sale.