Highlights: Record Store Day events, Public Enemy, Boddika @ Life Festival Launch, Nightbeds, The Twilight Sad, Floating Points & I Am The Cosmos, Virgo Four, Fantastic Mr. Fox & Blackbird Blackbird, Veronica Falls, John Smith.
Ticket freebies this week:
A pair of passes to Veronica Falls (Thursday), Night Beds (Friday), The Twilight Sad, Fantastic Mr. Fox/Blackbird Blackbird (Saturday). Full details of each show and how to enter below.
- How to enter – Email [email protected] with the gig above in the Subject line you’re entering for along with your full name and phone number in the body before 5pm the day before the gig to enter.
If you’re looking for tickets to sold out gigs try #ticketfairy on Twitter.
Tuesday April 16th
- Africa Unite @ Whelan’s (€15)
[Reggae] Italian roots and reggae band.
Wednesday April 17th
- John Smith, Hidden Highways @ Whelan’s (€10)
[Folk] Golden-voiced singer who has been playing with Lisa Hannigan launches solo material. Salty And Sweet
Thursday April 18th
- Life & Times of Woodie Guthrie @ Liberty Hall Theatre (€10)
[Folk] “A live documentary” featuring renditions of Guthrie songs.
- Veronica Falls, The #1s @ Whelan’s (€15)
[Indie/rock] sweet vintage indie-pop – Teenage
- Container, School Tour @ Twisted Pepper (€10)
[Electronic] Noise-influenced techno from Container. Dripping
- Jnr. Spesh: Randomer @ Twisted Pepper (€10, 11pm)
[Electronic] Producer on the Numbers and Hemlock label. Tracks.
- Don Vito, Daikiri, Turning Down Sex @ Whelan’s Upstairs (11:30pm, Free via guestlist)
[Rock] A night of German, French and Irish rock presented by the Stay and Be Lads promoters.
Friday April 19th
- Paperdolls & Guests: Jennifer Evans, Margie Lewis, Seán MacErlaine & more @ D-Light Studios (€15, BYOB)
[Acrobatics/music] Aerial acrobatics and musical accompaniment.
- Sweet Jane, ESB feat Perry Blake, Deetrich, Keith Moss and The Tightrope Walkers, Death In The Sickroom @ Whelan’s Upstairs (€5)
[Rock] Five Live from Reekus Records.
- North Side Drive @ Centre For Creative Practices, Pembroke Street (€5)
[Neoclassical] Cork composer plays elements of contemporary classical music with other genres such as post-rock, minimalism and ambient music.
- Night Beds @ The Workman’s Club (€13)
[indie] Pure country soul. Even If We Try. Support from Liza Flume.
- Ghost Estates, TwinKranes @ Button Factory (€5)
[Indie] Launch of the split 7″ release with support from The Notas.
- Mark Geary @ The Grand Social (€13)
[Acoustic] Support from Gavin Glass.
- A Tribute To Levon Helm @ The Sugar Club (€12.50)
[Classic rock] Featuring songs from The Walls, Republic Of Loose, The Mighty Stef, The Lost Brothers, Gavin Glass, Valerie Francis and more. All proceeds to The Irish Cancer Society.
- Life Festival launch: Boddika, Skudge, Clu, Wait & Strays & more @ The Academy (WIN TICKETS, 11pm)
[Dance] Warmup party in two rooms for Life Festival.
- George Fitzgerald @ Twisted Pepper (€12, 11pm)
[Dance] Hotflush DJ is in to help Spectrum wreck the gaff for their 3rd birthday.
Saturday April 20th – Record Store Day
- SEPARATE POST OF RECORD STORE DAY EVENTS
[All-day] Events in Tower Records, Elastic Witch, Freebird, All City, Soundcellar and Record Store Gay in Outhouse.
- The Twilight Sad @ The Workman’s (€14)
[Indie-rock] Unmistakeable Scottish band with industrial music and krautrock influences. ‘ The Wrong Car’
- Little Comets @ The Academy 2 (€12)
[Indie] This band would have been huge 10 years ago. ‘Worry’.
- Cian Nugent and the Cosmos @ Pallas Projects/Studios, 115–117 The Coombe
[Psychedelic band] Full band show from Nugent and friends as a part of First Awake Moment, a show by Ingrid Lyons, Lesley Ann O’Connell and Kathy Tynan.
- The Hot Sprockets @ Whelan’s (WIN TICKETS, €15)
[Rock ‘n’ roll] Old style Blues rockers. With support Cry Monster Cry and Marcus Carcas. ‘Soul Brother’
- Hidden Agenda: Fantastic Mr Fox, Blackbird Blackbird @ Button Factory (€10/€8, 11pm)
[Electronic] UK post-dubstep producer/remixer with San Fran psych-chillwavey Mikey Sanders on support.
- Pogo: Floating Points, I Am The Cosmos, Lasertom, Frank B and lots more @ Twisted Pepper (€15, 10.30pm)
[Electronic] Record Store Night and Dimensions Festival launch.
- Virgo Four @ The Grand Social (€10 , 11pm)
[Dance] Now out of obscurity after falling off the radar, these guys were around when Chicago House was invented.
Sunday April 21st
- 12 Sundays: I Am The Cosmos DJ set @ The Bernard Shaw (Free)
[DJs] Laid-back late weekend vibes.
- The Crayon Set, Heritage Centre @ Whelan’s (€6)
[Indie] Launch of The Crayon Set’s album.
- Public Enemy @ Button Factory (€32.50)
[Rap] Chuck D and Flava Flav are always good live.
Monday April 22nd
- The Lost Keys @ Twisted Pepper (6:30pm, €7)
[Choir] A drop-in choir for all.