© 2022 Slane Irish Whiskey
The 10 nominees for the eighteenth RTÉ Choice Music Prize 2022 were announced today, with 10 albums selected by a panel of judges to go forward to the live show live at Vicar Street on Thursday March 9th.
The list of albums from 2021 that have been shortlisted are:
- Anna Mieke – Theatre (Anna Mieke under license to Nettwerk Music Group)
- Aoife Nessa Frances – Protector (Partisan Records)
- CMAT – If My Wife New I’d Be Dead (CMATBABY)
- Dermot Kennedy – Sonder (Island)
- Fontaines D.C. – Skinty Fia (Partisan Records)
- Just Mustard – Heart Under (Partisan Records)
- Pillow Queens – Leave the Light On (Royal Mountain Records)
- Sorcha Richardson – Smiling Like An Idiot (Faction Records)
- The Mary Wallopers – The Mary Wallopers (The Mary Wallopers)
- Thumper – Delusions of Grandeur (Eva Magical Music Sounds)
Gilla Band’s Most Normal are the most surprising omission, in a fine year that also includes fine albums from Cormac Begley, Elaine Howley, Oliveyolive, Robocobra Quartet, Silverbacks, Junior Brother, Meryl Streek and more. Here are Nialler9’s Irish albums of 2021.
The winning Album of the Year act will receive €10,000, a prize fund which has been provided by The Irish Music Rights Organisation (IMRO) and The Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA). All shortlisted acts will receive a specially commissioned award.
RAAP, Culture Ireland, FMC and Minding Creative Minds are also official project partners of the RTE Choice Music Prize.
Red FM Cork
The Thin Air
RTÉ Radio 1
BBC Northern Ireland
Totally Dublin/Dublin Digital Radio
The Journal of Music
The Irish Examiner
The Business Post
The Choice announced three new categories for this year including Irish Artist of the Year, Irish Breakthrough Artist and Classic Irish Album.
Irish Artist of the Year – shortlist Tuesday 10thJanuary
Irish Breakthrough Artist – shortlist Wednesday 11th January
Classic Irish Album – further details Thursday 12th January
Irish Song of the Year – shortlist Friday 13th January
(the public vote for SOTY will open at the end of the week)