21. Vampire Weekend – Giving up the Gun (Directors: Malloy Brothers)
Jake Gyllenhaal, a Jonas Brother, RZA, Lil Jon and tennis. Whimsical and fun just like Vampy Weekend’s music.
22. She & Him – In the Sun (Director: Peyton Reed)
You gotta play to your strengths so why not take advantage of Zooey Deschanel’s talents if she’s in the band? Light-hearted and breezy is the way this was played, just like She & Him’s music.
23. Holy Fuck – Red Lights (Director: Brian Borcherdt & Michael LeBlanc)
Cats! Explosions! What more do you want internet???
24. Flying Lotus – Kill Your Co-Workers (Director: Beeple)
A robot parade goes into kill switch mode. Also worth checking out is the cosmic video for ‘MmmHmm’.
25. OK Go – This Too Shall Pass (Directors: James Frost, OK Go and Syyn Labs)
Whatever you think of OK Go’s music (i.e. not much), there’s no denying that out of necessity, the band are pushing the music video as an artform in creative directions. This was the best of the three great ones they made this year.
26. LCD Soundsystem – Drunk Girls (Director: Spike Jonze)
27. Jon Hopkins – Vessel (Four Tet remix) (Director: Bison)
Anaglyph is the name of the 3D technique used on this calming and visually stunning video.
28.Jay-Z – On to the Next One (Director: Sam Brown)
29. The National – Terrible Love (Alternative version) (Director: Tom Berninger)
The obligatory tour video sure but what’s this? The National having fun and dicking around. Lovely.
30. Chilly Gonzales – Never Stop (Director: Jonathan Barré)
One of my most played videos of the year. Keyboard cat reference, hula-hoop champion. Pure energy.