- Thursday: Homebeat: Ciaran Lavery/Ryan Vail, Liza Flume @ Smock Alley Theatre (€14)
- Friday: Subject presents MOVE D @ Twisted Pepper (€13/€15, 10:30pm)
- Saturday: Rob Heron and the Tea Pad Orchestra @ The Grand Social (€10)
- Saturday: All City present John Heckle & The Cyclist @ Twisted Pepper (€10, 10:30pm)
- Monday: Hidden Agenda: Portico, Snow Ghosts @ Whelan’s (€15)
How to enter ticket comp – Email [email protected] with the gig above in the Subject line you’re entering for along with your full name and phone number in the body of the message. Full info on each show below. Draw closes at 6pm the day before the gig or Friday 1pm latest for weekend gigs.
- Musictown Festival – city wide music events
- 12 Points Festival – jazz, electronic, contemporary and more – see my interview
Tuesday April 14
- Ruby Sessions @ Doyle’s (9pm, €6)
[Acoustic club] 16 years running this week!
- Ergodos presents Songs @ Little Big Museum (€10)
[Musictown festival] vocalist Michelle O’Rourke, reed player Seán Mac Erlaine and cellist Kate Ellis, composers Garrett Sholdice and Benedict Schlepper-Connolly
- Hawk, Maria Kelly, Cat Dowling @ Odessa Club (€5)
[Indie/rock] Fire In The Classroom.
- Ben Howard @ 3Arena (€40)
[Folk] Dark folk pop music.
Wednesday April 15
- Culture Vultures @ Odessa Club (€10)
[Salon] with Maud In Cahoots, Antonia Campbell Hughes & John Colleary
- 12 Points Day One @ Project Arts Centre (€15, €50 for 4 days)
[Modern Jazz] Auditive Connection, Moskus, Stuff
- Bowie’s Piano Man @ The Grand Social (€10)
[Musictown] Mike Garson with special guest Clifford Slapper, author of “Bowies Piano Man – The Life Of Mike Garson” and music guests.
- Tongue In Chic @ The Workman’s Club (Free)
[Cover band] Appear in the video for the Chic cover band.
Thursday April 16
- 12 Points Day Two @ Project Arts Centre (€15, €50 for 4 days)
[Modern Jazz] A.M.P. Trio, Elias Stemeseder & Virta. Showcase club after in Sweeneys.
- Homebeat: Ciaran Lavery/Ryan Vail, Liza Flume @ Smock Alley Theatre (€14, WIN TICKETS)
[Folk/field recordings] Sea Legs Dublin EP Launch
- Planet Parade, We,The Oceanographers @ The Workman’s Club (€5)
[Indie] Nialler9-recommended band.
- Daniel Lanois @ Vicar Street (€44)
[Rock/pop] musician, renowned producer and ambient pioneer
- Color//Sound, Blades Club @ Whelan’s (€5)
[indie/rock] launch of single The Wolves.
- The Reach play the music of Dan Fogelberg @ The Sugar Club (€15)
[Tribute] 8-piece band of musical veterans perform the American songwriter’s songs.
- Elsewhere, In Donegal @ The Grand Social (€10)
[Charity] In Their Thousands, Our Native State and Joel Harkin.
- Good Name: Tomorrows @ The Bernard Shaw (Free)
[Club]Featuring members of Biggles Flys Again, Chapters, Jethro Pickett,and Woodheart.
- Welcome: Sexworker & Cutting Moments @ The Twisted Pepper (€10, 10:30pm)
[Club] Grime, techno and house. Paddy Harkin, Jack Thompson, Watermelon DJ’s
Friday April 17
- Musicfutures @ Smock Alley (Free but registration required, 2:30pm)
[Musictown talk] A discussion about Music, Audiences and Spaces within our capital, hosted by Jim Carroll
- 12 Points: Alarmist, OKO, Re:divider @ Smock Alley ( Free but booking required)
[Musictown] A special three-band supergroup improv performance
- 12 Points Day Three @ Project Arts Centre (€15, €50 for 4 days)
[Modern Jazz] Laura Jurd Quartet, SVIN, and BRUUT! Showcase club after in Sweeneys.
- Colm Mac Con Iomaire @ Whelan’s (SOLD OUT)
[Musictown] Trad and contemporary fiddle music from the Frames man who has a new album out.
- A Tribute to Levon Helm @ The Sugar Club (€17.50)
[Tribute] The Strypes, The Minutes, Gavin Glass, The Lost Brothers and more.
- The Urges, September Girls, Beatfink @ The Grand Social (€5)
[Garage rock] Passing Us By Single launch
- Skelocrats, Ginnels, Switzerland @ Bello Bar (€10)
[indie/rock] ‘Bella Bella’ LP Launch.
- Mixtapes From The Underground @ The Workmans Club (€7)
[Hip-hop] with special guests This Side Up.
- DiG presents Rich Medina w/ DJ Scope @ The Sugar Club Courtyard (€7/€10, 11:30pm)
[DJ] Hip-hop, soul and more from DJ, record producer and spoken word artist.
- KPB Live & Homebeat: Not Pop Up #2 @ Odessa Club (11pm, €7)
[Electronic] with Homebeat’s Emmet Condon and guest DJ Donal Dineen.
- Subject presents MOVE D @ Twisted Pepper (€13/€15, 10:30pm, WIN TICKETS)
[Dance] One of Subject’s favourite House DJ plays a 3 hour set. Audrey Sensoria in Room 2.
- Pyg presents Neville Watson [Clone] @ The Pygmalion (€TBC , 10pm)
[Dance] deep and raw house music.
- Abstract and Melodic present Guti @ Opium Rooms (€10/12/15, 11pm)
[Dance] Latin house, techno with jazz influence.
Saturday April 18 – Record Store Day
- Breakfast Club 4th Birthday with Patrice Scott @ The Dark Horse Inn (7am ,€10)
[Rollover] Patrice Scott (SISTRUM Detroit ) Kenny Hanlon (Apartment Records, Gary’s Gang)
- Record Store Day @ Dublin Record Shops (all day)
[Performances/DJs] See what’s happening around Ireland
- Breaking Tunes Music Trail @ Various cafés, shops etc (12 to 6pm, Free)
[Acoustic performances] Featuring Columbia Mills, Participant, Paddy Hanna, Moossmann, Me Auld Flower, Color//Sound, Maud in Cahoots, Dear Desert, Brian Casey, I’m Your Vinyl
- Concrete Soup Improv Music Afternoons @ Block T (4pm, €10)
[Improv] Gavin Prior + ¡NO!
- Young Hearts Run Free: Dublin Hidden City @ city centre walk/venues (€14)
[Walk] Walking, chatting and exploring memory and the city with; Karl Whitney, Eleanor Tiernan, Barry McCormack, and Clare Barrett, with more guests to be announced, and surprise venues.
- 12 Points Day Four @ Project Arts Centre (€15, €50 for 4 days)
[Modern Jazz] Black Dough, Umbra, Hildegard Lernt Fliegen. Showcase club after in Sweeneys.
- What’s the Story Bud @ The Workman’s Club (€5)
[Musictown/Lingo Festival] A night of spoken word and soul music based on The Barrytown Trilogy with Roddy Doyle, John Cummins, Jess Kav and The Brown Bread Players.
- Rob Heron and the Tea Pad Orchestra @ The Grand Social (€10, WIN TICKETS)
[Musictown] Western Swing, Blues, Gypsy Jazz and Country
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor @ Vicar Street (€27)
[Instrumental] Canadian post-rock epic escapists.
- The R.A.G.E. and The Record Spot: No Spill Blood, Leo Drezden, Princess @ Bello Bar (€10)
[Guitar rock] Record Store Day afterparty showcase. In Aid of Irish Autism Action
- Julian Cope @ Whelan’s (€25)
[Rock] a singer, poet, occultist and photographer. Music madzer.
- Moda Black at Sense @ Button Factory (€10, 11pm)
[Dance] Jaymo, Andy George &Theo Kottis
- Hidden Agenda: Kiasmos @ Opium Rooms (€15, 11pm)
[Electronic] Olafur Arnalds and Janus Rasmussen play contemporary electronica.
- The Building Society: Jimmy Edgar, L-Vis 1990 @ Hangar (€12-€18, 10pm)
[Dance] Ultramajic Showcase.
- All City present John Heckle & The Cyclist @ Twisted Pepper (€10, 10:30pm, WIN TICKETS)
[Electronic] DJ / Live set from Liverpudlian techno wizard & promising Derry producer with new EP on Music is For Losers.
Sunday April 19
- SODA @ The Bernard Shaw (Free, 6pm)
[Party] This week – DIP – disco, boogie and house.
- Vinyl & Wine presents: What’s Going On @ The Dean Hotel (Free, 5pm)
[Vinyl playback] Formerly Classic Vinyl Sundays.
- Lift in the City @ The Grand Social (Free, from 2:30pm til 9pm)
[Musictown] Lethal Dialect, 5th Element, Misselayneous with That’s a Rap Project, The Glen Hansard High Hopes Bursary
Monday April 20
- Hidden Agenda: Portico, Snow Ghosts @ Whelan’s (€15, WIN TICKETS)
[Electronic/jazz] New album Living Fields is a career highlight.