Submissions are now open for the 2022 edition of First Cut‘s Youth Music Video Competition. The annual competition offers 5 directors between the ages of 18 to 23 the opportunity to create a music video for an up and coming Irish act under the mentorship of directors Brendan Canty of Feel Good Lost and Bob Gallagher.
- All applicants are invited to attend an online advice session with YMVC mentors.
- 5 selected participants/teams will receive mentorship from Brendan Canty, Bob Gallagher and other leading industry professionals covering the music video making process from start to finish.
- Hybrid programme includes an in-person workshop with mentors in Cork on Saturday April 23 and 4 online workshops from May – August.
- Each director/team will receive a €1000 stipend for expenses.
- The competition winner will be awarded €5,000 to help kickstart their career.
The selected filmmakers will screen at First Cut Youth Film Festival in 2023 and have the potential to become official releases for the track.
Previous years have seen videos made for artists like CMAT, Pillow Queens, Ye Vagabonds and Le Galaxie to name a few.
“Short films are a beautiful art form which I urge young filmmakers to keep making. But I strongly encourage them to try their hand at telling these stories or making these visuals through music videos as it is the best and fastest way to learn, develop and get noticed as a young director”Brendan Canty
2021 – Niamh Regan – Two Seagulls (Directed by Aisling O’Regan Sargent)
2021 – Alex Tierney – Settle For (21) (Robert Bass & Eoin Byrne)
2020 – ADT Even The Sun Don’t Shine On Lonely Hearts In Shadow (Directed by Richard Harvey)
2020 – CMAT – Another Day (kfc) (Directed by Elliot Ruddy)
2020 – Pillow Queens – Ragin’ (Directed by Daragh Goan)
Kobina – Shogani feat. Obskur Mond (Directed by Elena Horgan)
aboveDat – Better (Directed by Lochlainn McKenna)