With an absence of original music in town on Monday and Tuesday, the Cork Jazz listings kick off with the Wednesday.
WEDNESDAY 26TH OCTOBER
- UCC Singer-Songwriter Contest @ Cyprus Avenue (8pm, €3)
The UCC Music Soc’s battle of the… singer-songwriters continues.
THURSDAY 27TH OCTOBER
- Wyvern Lingo, Pleasure Beach @ Crane Lane Theatre (7.30, free w/ticket)
Hot Press & Jameson-sponsored Bow St. Sessions gig with a double-headline bill. Check Hot Press online for ticket applications.
- Ian Whitty & The Exchange @ Coughlan’s Live (9pm, €10)
Cork folk man and collaborators launch their first album in eight years.
- Animal Lover, Vatican II & Horse @ Fred Zeppelin’s (9pm, free)
U.S. post-hardcore outfit with Irish noise/hardcore bands in tow.
FRIDAY 28TH OCTOBER
- Cathy Davey @ St. Luke’s (7.30pm, €22.50)
Singer-songwriter supports new record ‘New Forest’ with a rare small-venue show.
- Cuttin’ Heads Collective @ Pigalle Bar (8pm, free)
Leeside hip-hop collective present an evening of jazz-tinged head-nodders.
- Xylouris White & Katie Kim @ Triskel Christchurch (8pm, €15)
Dirty Three drummer Jim White + lute player George Xylouris. Katie Kim in support, off the back of new album ‘SALT’
- Loah & Colm K. @ Cork Opera House (9pm, €12/€5 after Loah)
Sierra Leonean/Irish singer-songwriter performs for the Jazz, with DJ set from Colm Kenefick thereafter.
- Ben Sims @ Cyprus Avenue (11pm, €16)
UK techno legend returns to Cork in a Bastardo Electrico show, with support from debuting duo Flexure.
SATURDAY 29TH OCTOBER
- Ham Sandwich @ St. Luke’s (7.30, €22.50)
Chart-topping indie five-piece come to town for the Jazz.
- Robert Glasper Experiment & James Taylor QT @ Everyman Palace (8.00, €40)
Double-bill of Grammy-winning jazz explorations, and Hammond organ virtuosity.
- Harvester, Dvne & Third Island @ Fred Zeppelin’s (9pm, free)
Galway doom-metallers head-up a triple bill of progressive heft.
- Kormac & Daithí @ Cyprus Avenue (11pm, €12.50)
Audiovisual show from electronic powerhouse, with support from Galway trad/beats man Daithí.
- Word Up Collective @ Cork Opera House (6pm, free)
A triple-bill from members of the Dublin hip-hop collective, with Katie Laffan, Super Silly & NC Grey.
SUNDAY 30TH OCTOBER
- Jason Marsalis Vibes Quartet & Dick Oatts All-Stars @ Everyman Palace (2.30, €30)
Jazz royaltyin a double-bill at the iconic McCurtain Street theatre.
- Hot Club of Cowtown @ Triskel Christchurch (2.30, €12)
Countrified jazz via the USA in a special matineé performance.
- The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock & Fixity @ Cork Opera House (6pm, €15)
A reprisal performance of long-form historical piece ‘Lockout’, with support from improv outfit Fixity.
- West Cork Ukulele Orchestra @ St. Luke’s (7.30, €22.50)
Nine-piece ukulele ensemble take listeners through both jazz and Cork songbooks.
- Brian Deady @ Cork Opera House (11.30, €21)
Cork soulman plays his largest hometown show yet, with CC Brez in support.
BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY 31ST OCTOBER
- Loudon Wainwright III @ Cork Opera House (8pm, €37.50)
Cult folk hero/patriarch on Irish tour, ahead of unveiling new stage show ‘Surviving Twin’ in 2017.
- Sara Watkins @ Coughlan’s (9pm, €16.50)
Solo show from Nickel Creek co-founder & Decemberists percussionist.
- Dragon of Shandon Parade @ Shandon Street, after dark (free)
The fearsome, skeletal guardian of the Northside surveys his territory again, with music from members of Ten Past Seven and Rest.