Episode 201 is a journey through some of the last 35 years in music through the medium of the sample, from the Amen break to famous sample-heavy albums to our own personal favourite sampled songs.
We discuss how an obscure 1960s B-side became the most sampled song in history and helped birth genres like drum and bass and jungle. We explore the sample art of albums like DJ Shadow’s Entroducing, Beastie Boys’ Paul’s Boutique, J Dilla’s Donuts, Girl Talk’s Night Ripper and The Avalanches’ Since I Left You.
And then Niall and Andrea share their favourite samples including but not limited to music from Steely Dan, Super Furry Animals, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye, Burial, Kate Bush, ABBA, James Blake, Skepta and a disco Beethoven true original.
The track that kicked off the idea was Rory Sweeney and Emby’s ‘All My Life’ which samples Kendrick’s ‘Backseat Freestyle’.
Shout out to Tracklib on Youtube for some of the audio sample beds. Some lists of what we played below.
A very fun episode for us.
Listen to the episode below or subscribe in your favourite podcast app:
Listen on Apple | Android | ACAST | Pocketcasts | CastBox | Stitcher | Spotify | RSS Feed
Subscribe to the podcast and please leave a review on iTunes, tell your friends or commit to supporting us directly. Support us on Patreon.
Songs played on the Nialler9 Podcast Spotify Playlist
Songs referenced on his episode, and their samples
- Britney Spears – Toxic (Bollywood sample – Lata Mangeshkar and S. P. BalasubrahmanyamTere Mere Beech Mein 1981 )
- Beyoncé – Crazy In Love (Chilites – Are You My Woman)
- 2pac – California Love (Joe Cocker – Woman To Woman )
- Len – Steal My Sunshine (Andrea True Connection)
- Stardust – Music Sounds Better With You ( Chaka Khan – Fate)
- MIA – Paper Planes ( The Clash – Straight To Hell)
- Fugees – Ready Or Not (Enya – Boadaciea)
- EMBY x Rory Sweeney All My Life (Kendrick Lamar – Backseat Freestyle)
- The Winstons – Amen Brother – The Amen Break
- NWA – Straight Outta Compton
- Carl Cox – Let The Bass Kick
- Snow – Informer
- Apollo Two – Return To Atlantis
- Prodigy – Poison
- General Levy – Incredible
- Ganja Kru – Super Sharp Shooter
- Roni Size, Reprazent – Brown Paper Bag
- David Bowie – Little Wonder
- Futurama Theme
- Tyler The Creator – Pigs
- Adam F – Circles
- PinkPantheress – Break It Off
- J Dilla – Workinonit
- Beastie Boys – Shake Your Rump (13 samples listed here)
- DJ Shadow – Stem / Long Stem (samples)
- The Avalanches – Since I Left You (samples)
- Kendrick Lamar – Money Trees ft. Jay Rock (Beach House – Silver Soul)
- Kendrick Lamar – Hood Politics (Sufjan Stevens – All For Myself)
- Kanye West – Wolves (sample – a wolf)
- Kanye West – Blood On The Leaves (Nina Simone – Strange Fruit)
- Kanye West – Bound 2 (The Ponderosa Twins Plus One – Bound)
- Super Furry Animals – The Man Don’t Give a Fuck (Steely Dan – Showbiz Kids)
- Madvillain – Fancy Clown (ZZ Hill – That Ain’t The Way To Make Love)
- Kate Bush – Under Ice’ (The Field – Over The Ice)
- Madonna – Hung Up (ABBA – Gimme, Gimme, Gimme)
- Walter Murphy – A Fifth Of Beethoven (Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony)
- Burial – Archangel – (Ray J – One Wish / Opening Infiltration by Harry Gregson-Williams and Norihiko Hibino from Metal Gear Solid (2001) / Christina Aguilera performing beautiful from Saturday Night Live (2004)
- Burial – Come Down To Us (samples / Lana Wachowski Receives the HRC Visibility Award)
- Skepta- Man (QOTSA – Regular John)
- Wu-Tang Clan – C.R.E.A.M. (The Charmels – As Long As I’ve Got You)
- Passion Pit – Sleephead /(Mary O’Hara – Oro Mo Bhaidin)
- James Blake & Rosalía song Barefoot In The Park (Valerie Armstrong – Fíl a Run Ó’ recorded at the Feis Ceoil, RDS, Dublin for RTE in 1971)