After the first run of Record Store Day on June 12th, the second drop day that will see a whole batch of new releases unleashed at Irish and international record shops.
What Irish shops are participating?
Here are a list of all participating stores in Ireland carrying releases.
They include Golden Disc shops around the country, Plug’d and Music Zone in Cork, Bell Book and Candle and OMG @ Zhivago in Galway, Classified Records in Dundalk, Steamboat Records in Limerick, Trax in Carlow and Tullamore.
Dublin shops include Tower, All City, Spindizzy, The RAGE, Freebird and Sound Cellar.
Northern Irish shops include Head, Starr and Sick Records in Belfast and Cool Discs in Derry,
What are the protocols for buying and browsing?
For obvious reasons, the free for all that would have happened in previous years is not on the cards.
Most shops are operating a first come first served basis on Saturday with limited numbers allowed in store to browse. Some are opening from 8am so check their sites.
Safe to assume queues will be forming outside record shops to buy the exclusives.
Some are offering click and collect with online purchases from later that day but are prioritising in-store customers so if there’s something you want then you probably need to go in person to get it.
One copy per person is also in effect.
What Record Store Day Special releases can I buy?
Anything you want to own on vinyl is always a good shout in terms of supporting a shop directly but as for the Record Store Day special releases on Drop 2, Here’s a list of recommendations. It’s not as busy as Drop 1 but here you are:
12″ vinyl unless otherwise stated.
- Archive – Versions: Remixed
- Beastie Boys – Aglio E Olio (Punk recordings from Ill Communication era)
- Bibio – Vidiconia (New ambient EP)
- Björk x The Hamrahlíð Choir – Cosmogony (Limited edition picturedisc featuring 2 versions of ‘Cosmogony’)
- Dee Gees, The – Hail Satin (Foo Fighters doing disco)
- Denzel Curry & Robert Glasper – Live From Leimert Park
- Carly Simon – Why? (12″ reissue single)
- Czarface – Czar Noir (MF Doom collaborator with comic strip album)
- Ed Banger Records – Ed Rec Vol.1 (Originally released in 2008)
- Fleet Foxes – ‘Can I Believe You’ / ‘Wading in Waist-High Water’. (Live versions)
- Aretha Franklin – Oh Me Oh My: Aretha Live in Philly 1972
- Georgia – Seeking Thrills (After Hours) (club versions of 4 songs from the album)
- Gorillaz – G Sides (6 LP box set of albums)
- Jacques Renault – Sky Islands (Megamix style 25-track dance record)
- Karen O & Willie Nelson – Under Pressure (A cover of Queen and Bowie)
- LOVE – Everybody’s Gotta Live (EP release)
- Purple Disco Machine – Soulmatic
- Sinead O’Connor – Live in Rotterdam 1990
- St Vincent – Piggy/Sad But True (covers of Nine Inch Nails and Metallica)
- Tangerine Dream – The Keep Soundtrack OST
- Terrace Martin, Robert Glasper, 9th Wonder & Kamasi Washington – Dinner Party: Dessert
- Tom Moulton – Spring Break (Mixes of the Fatback band)
- Amy Winehouse – Remixes (2 LP collection of remixes from Frank and Back To Black)
- Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- Various – Mochilla Presents Timeless: Suite For Ma Dukes (60-piece orchestra featuring special guests Bilal, Dwele, Posdnuos, Talib Kweli, Karriem Riggins and more pay tribute to Dilla)
- Various – Erased Tapes 20 · · ー ー ー 0 (seems to be a hidden tracklist)
- Various Artists – Too Slow To Disco presents: YACHT SOUL – Cover Versions
- Vaughan Mason – Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll (a classic roller disco jam track)