FRIDAY AUGUST 9TH:
- Carnival of Funk @ Connolly’s of Leap (1pm, €12)
Connolly’s seems to be in the habit of giving us the slip for Friday all-dayers of late! This will be kicking off right as we publish, and among the purveyors of funk in this particular trunk are multiple-headed beast Quangodelic, and Backroad Smoker’s Club. Fiver before 5pm, too.
- Factotem and more @ Fred Zeppelin’s (8pm, free)
Long-running Cork pop-rockers debut new material from their upcoming second album. Up for Discussion and Public Secret supporting.
- Lynda Cullen @ Triskel Christchurch (8pm, €10)
An album launch for second LP ‘Smoke Without a Fire’, recorded in North Carolina and taking in roots Americana in suitable style. Free album with each ticket.
- Youthful Dreams & A Pinch of the Hob @ Levis’ of Ballydehob (8.30pm, donations)
The second instalment of Levis’ open mic for West Cork’s young musicians and songwriters.
- The Flavours @ The Roundy/PLUGD (9pm, €5)
Four-piece outfit play a live excursion on Castle Street after releasing their debut extended-player. Support from the fabulously-monikered The Shift.
- Eve Clague & Míde Houlihan @ DeBarra’s of Clonakilty (9pm, €10)
A double-bill of Clonakilty singer-songwriters, both off the back of busy summer gigging seasons.
- Tiz McNamara @ Coughlan’s (9pm, €10)
Cork singer-songwriter working via the UK, comes back home for another swing of dates, including tonight’s gig at the back room on Douglas Street.
- AMR: Techno All Night @ Dali (10pm, TBC)
AMR’s fourth appearance at the venue. Does what it says on the tin!
SATURDAY AUGUST 10TH:
- County Vinyl @ The Roundy/PLUGD (8pm, free)
The residents of County Vinyl return to the Roundy, with a guest set from Garden Collective man Emmet Coleman.
- Clare Sands @ Levis’ of Ballydehob (8.30pm, €10)
Seventh-generation fiddler and multi-instrumentalist comes to the West Cork village’s venue.
- The Uplifter @ DeBarra’s of Clonakilty (10pm, free)
Hybrid DJ/live percussion performance reggae from Londoner Tom Earwaker.
SUNDAY AUGUST 11TH:
- Cuttin’ Heads Collective @ Vicarstown Bar (4pm, free)
The hip-hop co-op’s Summer Sessions continue, with the Headcutters joined by (N9 contributor – full disclosure, etc.) Kelly Doherty as Gadget and the Cloud; the boss, the don *and* the legend, Ray Wingnut; and jazz-digging beatman Clm.
- John Blek @ Connolly’s of Leap (7pm, €10)
Singer-songwriter heads under the hammers after the release of most recent album ‘Thistle and Thorn’.
- Annette Buckley & Rosi Lalor @ Maureen’s (8pm, donations)
A double-header of Cork-based singer-songwriters at the relatively-new Mulgrave Road venue.
- Niall Connolly @ Coughlan’s (9pm, €15)
Heading back over from NYC for another swing of solo gigs, singer-songwriter Niall Connolly stops on Douglas Street.
- Kevin Burke @ Levis’ of Ballydehob (9pm, €15)
A certified master of the musical tradition at either side of the Atlantic, and a former member of the Bothy Band, Burke brings his solo fiddle show to the village venue.
- Rawney @ DeBarra’s (9.30pm, free)
Singer-songwriter and former Setmaker (!) man comes to the Clon folk outpost for a solo mix of his own material and Irish genre standards.