Hello, everyone. Before I get stuck in, I want to make note that this rundown of gigs, including Sounds from a Safe Harbour (referred to as SFSH from now on) and tonnes of other stuff, includes, to the best of my ability, most of the festival’s free gig trail.
There’s an absolutely ungodly amount of Irish talent on the trail, everyone from Fixity and Bantum, to Nealo and the Mary Wallopers, happening at venues across the city. For more info on the lineup and the booking philosophy behind it, peep the bossman’s chat with The Echo’s Ronan Leonard.
FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 13TH
- Secret Show @ Tom Barry’s (5pm, free)
Does what it says on the tin. Get up Barrack Street for the first of the secret SFSH gigs.
- Sans Chateaux @ Crane Lane Theatre (5.30pm, free)
Corkman Austin Moore launches new album ‘Ephemeral Heights’ as part of SFSH.
- Jack O’Rourke @ O’Sho (6pm, free)
More free SFSH goodness on Barrack Street, this time from the Cork chart-topper.
- Molly Sarlé @ Winthrop Avenue (6pm, free)
Applachian folk and West Coast warmth with Mountain Man’s Molly Sarlé, for SFSH.
- Sam Clague @ Callanan’s (7pm, free)
Clonakilty singer-songwriter continues the SFSH free gig trail.
- Bad Bones @ BDSM (7pm, free)
A live excursion for the Dublin electronic producer and visual artist, as part of the SFSH gig trail.
- Boa Morte @ Crane Lane Theatre (7pm, free)
Just off the release of spacey new LP ‘Before There Was Air’, veteran Cork alt-folkers Boa Morte make a SFSH appearance.
- Fixity @ The Roundy/PLUGD (7.30pm, free)
That’s an entirely free solo gig from the jazz-noise-psych-improv don, as part of the SFSH gig trail.
- LaForce @ Coughlan’s (7.30pm, SOLD OUT)
Broken Social Scene member brings nocturnal electronic pop to the backroom on Douglas Street for SFSH.
- Kojaque and Luka Palm @ Dali (7.30pm, €13)
Soft Boys doing Soft Boy things after the release of ‘Green Diesel’.
- Grandbrothers @ Live at St. Luke’s (7.30pm, €25)
Jazz/synth ongoings from German duo provides St. Lukes’ Friday night headliner for SFSH.
- Gareth Quinn Redmond @ Winthrop Avenue (8pm, free)
Dublin minimalist/ambient man plays downstairs on Caroline Street for SFSH.
- Leroy Troy and his Hillbilly Trio (8.30pm, €16)
Live bluegrass and related excursions, from founder members of the Tennessee Mafia Jug Band, dagnabbit!
- Land Crabs @ Fred Zeppelin’s (9pm, €5)
Unsafe sounds, right by the river, from noisy collective Land Crabs, plus newish outfits Lyena and Kuso on the supports.
- Odyssey @ The Kino (9pm, €25)
Live improvisations by Todd Dahlhoff, Leslie Feist, and Shazad Ismaily, based on the Homeric text.
- Paul T & Greg Crowley @ Sober Lane (10pm, free)
Beats and pieces over on Sullivan’s Quay to continue the SFSH vibes.
- Bantum, Denise Chaila and God Knows @ The Roundy/PLUGD (10pm, free)
A unique collaboration for SFSH’s gig trail sees Rusangano Family members team up with Corkonian producer Bantum.
- Damien Rice @ Cork Opera House (10pm, SOLD OUT)
Irish singer-songwriter takes to the Opera House stage for SFSH, accompanied by Gemma Sugrue and the Voiceworks choir.
- GOOD Music! @ Cyprus Avenue (11pm, €7)
Stevie G, Kelly Gadget, Ciara and crew get back to the function in time for GOOD Music’s third anniversary.
- Romare @ Dali (11pm, €15)
Hybrid sampling/performance set from Paris-based crate digger as part of SFSH’s headlining activities on Carey’s Lane.
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 14TH
- Ophelia Quartet @ Triskel Christchurch (1.10pm, €16)
Young string quartet gigs the Triskel as part of its Quartets series of weekend events.
- Don’t Fear the Light @ Cork Opera House (2pm, €35)
Katia and Marielle Labèque, Bryce Dessner and David Chalmin present an exploration of minimalist compositions by new composers.
- Shahzad Ismaily @ The Roundy/PLUGD (2.30pm, free)
Self-taught musician and composer blesses the Roundy with his presence as part of the SFSH gig trail.
- Junior Brother @ Winthrop Avenue (3pm, free)
So beloved is Kerry’s new poet laureate that he’s sold out a free show. G’wan.
- Crash Ensemble, Sam Perkins @ The Kino (3pm, free)
A free excursion for the contemporary classical ensemble, as part of SFSH’s free gig trail.
- Efterklang @ Live at St. Luke’s (3.30pm, €26.50)
Danish indie outfit bring their full band to St. Luke’s to play new material for SFSH proceedings.
- Denise Chaila @ Bar Pigalle (4pm, free)
Rapper, co-producer and all-round baller Denise Chaila flexes with a solo SFSH excursion.
- JFDR @ Crane Lane Theatre (4pm, free)
Icelandic experimental composer/improviser plays new tunes as part of the SFSH gig trail.
- 37do3d Mixtape @ Crane Lane Theatre (6.30pm, free)
PEOPLE Festival spin-off makes an appearance as part of the SFSH gig trail.
- Secret Gig @ Winthrop Avenue (6.30pm, free)
Yes, we’re using ‘gig’ and ‘show’ interchangeably, depending on what individual venues are calling it. No, we don’t have any info on who this is. Only one way to find out.
- Melissa Laveaux @ Coughlan’s (7pm, SOLD OUT)
Canadian indie-folk fusionist braves the heat of a packed-out Coughlan’s for a sold-out SFSH show.
- Secret Show @ Crawford and Sons (7.30pm, free)
Who’s playing at the Anglesea Street super-pub for SFSH? Only one way to find out, lads.
- Caoimhín O’Raghaillaigh and Thomas Bartlett @ Live at St. Luke’s (7.30pm, €30)
Gloaming members and world-travelled soloists come together for a SFSH headline event at the Northside sonic temple.
- Big Boy Foolish @ The Poor Relation (8.30pm, €5 suggested donation)
The debut headlining excursion from Cork post-punk veterans’ new project, plus a tribute to Stump man Mick Lynch in supports The Penny Dreadful.
- Áine Tyrrell and Emily Wurramara @ Levis’ of Ballydehob (8.30pm, donations)
A double-header of Irish and Indigenous Australian psych-folk at the village venue.
- Sally Cinnamon @ Tom Barry’s (9pm, free)
Dublin DJ and broadcaster wrecks the decks at the Barrack Street watering spot for SFSH.
- Sacrilegia @ Fred Zeppelin’s (9pm, €5)
Amid all the beautiful music and beats – a night of visceral black metal. Dublin blackened thrashers headline, with support from new Cork band Gealach (also launching their demo tape and new zine Flail Ov Evil) and Limerick black-thrashers Imrama.
- Evolution D’n’B @ An Spailpín Fánach (9pm, TBC)
A residents’ night for Cork drum and bass collective, as they come back from a summer break.
- Gaff E @ Sober Lane (10pm, free)
It’s Mockie Ah! time below at Sober Lane as part of the SFSH Free Gig Trail.
- David Chalmin – La Terre Invisible @ The Roundy/PLUGD (10pm, free)
Ambient electronic producer and composer performs his ‘La Terre Invisible’ full-length as part of SFSH.
- Jar Jar Jr. & Nealo @ The Kino (10pm, free)
A double dose of the best in Irish hip-hop, with Chef Bubby Halz and ex-Frustration vocalist Nealo at the Washington Street venue for SFSH’s gig trail.
- Feist @ Cork Opera House (10pm, €35)
Canadian singer-songwriter Feist gives an intimate performance as part of Sounds from a Safe Harbour’s headline programme.
- Pariah @ Dali (10pm, €14)
London dubstep/future garage minimalist provides night two of Dali’s SFSH headliners.
- Fish Go Deep @ Cyprus Avenue (11pm, €12)
The kings of Cork house pull their thrones up behind the decks for a SFSH edition of their monthly city excursion.
SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 15TH
- I Have a Tribe @ The Roundy/PLUGD (1pm, free)
Dubliner Patrick O’Laoghaire plays an afternoon show at the home of PLUGD for the SFSH gig trail.
- Merope @ Winthrope Avenue (2pm, free)
Members of Efterklang come together for minimalism, improvisation, and folk melodies, as part of SFSH.
- Lemoncello @ Callanan’s (3pm, free)
Carlow/Donegal folk duo perform at the back room of the Sullivan’s Quay snug as part of SFSH.
- Slow Moving Clouds @ Crane Lane Theatre (3pm, free)
Scandi-Irish trad-fusionists play an early one for SFSH’s trail at the Crane.
- Dowry @ Crane Lane Theatre (4pm, free)
Multi-instrumentalist Éna Brennan brings her solo project to the Crane for SFSH.
- Sir Was @ The Kino (4.30pm, €15)
Swedish multi-instrumentalist takes to the stage at the former arthouse for SFSH.
- Niall McCabe @ O’Sho (5pm, free)
Transatlantic soulman strikes out solo for SFSH’s free gig trail.
- Elaine Malone & Laurie Shaw @ The Poor Relation (5pm, free)
A double-header of great Corkonian songwriting, as Elaine and Laurie perform solo and collaborative tunes for SFSH.
- Sam Amidon @ Live at St. Luke’s (5.30pm, €20)
American folk artist performs Harry Smith’s ‘Anthology of American Folk Music’ at the Northside sonic temple to finish its SFSH proceedings.
- Joyero @ The Crane Lane (6pm, free)
Wye Oak man Andy Stack’s new dream-pop project gets an excursion to the Crane Lane in for SFSH.
- The Mary Wallopers @ Crawford and Sons (6pm, free)
The only MCs, saying… sorry, wrong project. Dundalk folkers finish up SFSH’s free trail in shtyle.
- Katie O’Neill and Mark Waldron- Hyden @ The Roundy/PLUGD (7pm, €5)
Cork Improvised Music Collective continues its journey into Sunday nights at PLUGD, with a double-bill of solo improv.
- Rosie Carney (7.30pm, SOLD OUT)
Hampshire singer-songwriter comes to Cork for a sold-out SFSH spectacular.
- Audible Joes @ Fred Zeppelin’s (7.30pm, €5)
Cork punx embark upon their regular gig at the red room on Parliament Street. Support from Dirty Power, Outsound and Up for Discussion.
- Lhasa @ Cork Opera House (8pm, €35)
Andrew Barr (The Barr Brothers), Bryce Dessner (The National), Clarice Jensen (American Contemporary Music Ensemble), composer Dustin O’Halloran, musician Emma Broughton, musician and composer Joel Shearer, singer-songwriter Leslie Feist (Feist); singer-songwriter and guitarist Melissa Laveaux; Pauline DeLassus (Mina Tindle) and musician Todd Dahlhoff will bring Lhasa de Sela’s multi-lingual songs and music to life on the Cork Opera House stage, to finish up the third Sounds from a Safe Harbour.