With the jetlag firmly behind me, it’s time for a quick catchup post. More Oz bloggery about Perth coming later today but till then.. Whadimiss?
- Some local news first. The excellent All City Records have compiled their equally-excellent 7×7 series onto limited CD which features tracks from Hudson Mohawke, Onra, Mike Slott, Snowman and more. Sample each artist here. Buy it here. Check out the Dimlite snippet mix:
- Alongside Bullion, UK beat producer Paul White has been doing good things for UK music. He releases his album The Strange Dreams of Paul White this week and it’s a J Dilla esque trip into sampleland. His album can also be bought in a “handmade, hand-stamped cotton pillowcase package”. You can listen to the whole thing on his site and sample the first track here:
- The first album I put on when I got home was Fits, the new and totally awesome album by White Denim which you can hear in full @ NME. The video for ‘I Start to Run’ is below and the band play The Academy, Dublin this Friday and The Stiff Kitten, Belfast this Saturday.
- Two of Ireland’s best rock bands – And So I Watch You From Afar and Adebisi Shank head out on the road together next month for a seven date tour. It stops in Tralee, Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Baker Place, Derry and Belfast from the 2nd to the 10th of July. Full details here. Check out Aoife’s ASIWYFA interview podcast.
- MAP’s Argentinean rep ZonaIndie has posted their second Canciones Pegajosas (“sticky songs”) compilation. It features five songs from artists who never had the chance to record in a professional studio before. All songs and recordings have been published under a Creative Commons license, so they’re free to copy, upload and share on P2P networks. The songs are avaliable as free downloads in several formats and are also available in multi-track versions for remixes.
- A slew of cool mixes for you to check out: Late of the Pier Summer mixtape, A XXXChange mix (he plays this Saturday in The Button Factory), A Micachu ‘Kwesachu’ mixtape which features songs and collaborations with The XX, The Invisible, Hot Chip, Ghost Poet and Gold Panda, a Raffertie Fabric mix and a great mix from Jackmaster for The Wire which features one of the best electronic songs of the year – Guido’s ‘Way You Make Me Feel’.
- New videos from Fever Ray, Mos Def and Busdriver:
Triangle Walks from Fever Ray on Vimeo.
Mos Def – “Casa Bey” from Downtown Music on Vimeo.
- Via Cubik – Flying Lotus live at Brainfeeder Sonar: