In addition to all the gigs and clubs happening over the weekend, the newly-established Cork Zine Archive is opening its exhibition of ‘zines and gig posters from city venues from the eighties and nineties at UCC Library this weekend, covering a pivotal point of Cork’s musical development.
The opening itself kicks off today at 5pm, with special guest Jim O’Mahony, custodian of the dearly-departed Comet Records as guest of honour, and Quare Groove cratedigger John Byrne on the decks. The exhibition itself runs at the college library throughout the summer.
FRIDAY JULY 5TH
- Mick Flannery @ Coughlan’s (5pm, €13)
Corkonian troubadour plays his new album front-to-back at the back room on Douglas Street.
- The Elephant Room @ Fred Zeppelin’s (8pm, free)
Dublin outfit head to the red room on Parliament Street, with support from Father and Elbé.
- The Light Runners @ Connolly’s of Leap (8pm, €10)
Corkonian/Congolese reggae outfit head under the hammers after their recent E.P. release.
- Lauren Guillery @ Levis’ Corner House (8.30pm, pass-the-hat)
Clonakilty-based rock songwriter heads over to Ballydehob for a session at the village venue.
- Paddy Dennehy @ The Brú (10pm, free)
Singer-songwriter with the endorsement of various mainstream music figures takes his solo show to the McCurtain Street hostel/venue.
- Revelation Soundsystem @ Cyprus Avenue (10pm, €10)
Cork reggae veterans’ residents are joined onstage by Mungo’s Hi-Fi emcee YT.
- AMR @ Dali (10pm, €TBC)
Melodic techno-slinger returns to the Carey’s Lane venue for a 4.5 hour set.
SATURDAY JULY 6TH
- Tír na nÓg @ Connolly’s of Leap (1pm, €10)
The Hanley Brothers headline an all-day odyssey of house and related sounds under the hammers.
- Christy Moore @ The Marquee (6.30pm, from €35)
Trad/folk icon makes his annual Cork excursion to the Monahan Road pop-up venue. Don’t forget your shovel.
- The Diviners @ Levis’ of Ballydehob (8pm, pass-the-hat)
Folk/trad nua with a worldwide flavour, playing at Ballydehob’s village venue.
- Dali Residents’ Night @ Dali (10pm, €12)
The Carey’s Lane venue summons its regular disc-jocks together for a big night of beats.
- Meduza @ Cyprus Avenue (11pm, €15)
Italian production trio ride their recent Shazam!-led success to the big room on Caroline Street.
SUNDAY JULY 7TH
- David Gray @ The Marquee (6.30pm, SOLD OUT)
Nineties singer-songwriter heads to the Marquee. Jumpin’ Jesus, holy cow.
- Angry Mom Collective Table Quiz @ The Roundy/PLUGD (7.30PM, €5 per head)
Corkonian arts gender-equality group launches its brand-new website, and gets another round of table-quizzing action in after a sellout initial excursion.
- John Spillane @ Connolly’s of Leap (8pm, €15)
Cork’s folksong specialist takes a trip under the hammers, with mystery guests in tow.